Old 11-10-2010, 03:08 AM
Duncan

Default News item for restructuring of hardened profiles.

Christian Faulhammer posted on Tue, 09 Nov 2010 23:51:45 +0100 as
excerpted:

> Hi,
>
> "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@gentoo.org>:
>
>> We will change the profiles one arch at a time, starting with ia64, and
>> proceeding in order with ppc, ppc64, x86 and amd64. Once your arch has
>> been update
>
> *updated
>
> Maybe give hardened@g.o as Author entry and point to Bugzilla, plus give
> a date when you start, just for completeness.
>
> V-Li

From the perl-5.12 new item thread back in October (ulm suggested):

>> Author: perl-team <perl@gentoo.org>

> Maybe it's better to list the real author(s) here?
> Multiple Author: lines are allowed.

There was no reply, but most of the others appear to be individual authors.

Looking at the actual news item, it appears that one was resolved by
listing both perl@ and tove@ as authors, but grepping the news dir for
Author, that's the first and only time a team/project/herd alias has been
listed at all.

Thus, keeping the individual blueness@ authorship appears to fit precedent
best, but adding hardened@ wouldn't be inappropriate if desired, as that
perl news cleared the way. =:^)

Old 11-10-2010, 11:41 AM
"Anthony G. Basile"

On 11/09/2010 11:08 PM, Duncan wrote:
> Christian Faulhammer posted on Tue, 09 Nov 2010 23:51:45 +0100 as
> excerpted:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@gentoo.org>:
>>
>>> We will change the profiles one arch at a time, starting with ia64, and
>>> proceeding in order with ppc, ppc64, x86 and amd64. Once your arch has
>>> been update
>> *updated
>>
>> Maybe give hardened@g.o as Author entry and point to Bugzilla, plus give
>> a date when you start, just for completeness.
>>
>> V-Li
> From the perl-5.12 new item thread back in October (ulm suggested):
>
>>> Author: perl-team <perl@gentoo.org>
>> Maybe it's better to list the real author(s) here?
>> Multiple Author: lines are allowed.
> There was no reply, but most of the others appear to be individual authors.
>
> Looking at the actual news item, it appears that one was resolved by
> listing both perl@ and tove@ as authors, but grepping the news dir for
> Author, that's the first and only time a team/project/herd alias has been
> listed at all.
>
> Thus, keeping the individual blueness@ authorship appears to fit precedent
> best, but adding hardened@ wouldn't be inappropriate if desired, as that
> perl news cleared the way. =:^)

Attached is the updated news item. It addresses 3 issues brought up
(two on list one off):

1) authorship - I've added another line for the entire hardened team.
I've kept my name in there because I'm the point person for the work.

2) bug tracking - I refer at the end to a bug which will track the
progress so the user can look to see where we are in the processs

3) I reworded it slightly to emphasis that the user should wait until
the profile change is made on his/her arch before switching the profiles
(ie they should not switch proactively)

I'm shooting for Nov 13 to release it.

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Gentoo Developer
Author: Anthony G. Basile <blueness@gentoo.org>
Author: Hardened Team <hardened@gentoo.org>
Revision: 1
News-Item-Format: 1.0
Display-If-Profile: hardened/linux

During the next few weeks, all hardened profiles will be restructured to
remove the version number "/10.0". For example, if your current profile
is "hardened/linux/amd64/10.0/no-multilib" your new profile will be
"hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib".

We will change the profiles one arch at a time, starting with ia64, and
proceeding in order with ppc, ppc64, x86 and amd64. Once your arch has
been updated, you will receive a warning when running emerge that your
profile has been deprecated. When you do, use "eselect profile list" to
get a list of the new profiles. Then, use "eselect profile set <num>"
to switch to your new profile with corresponding number <num>.

Progress with the restructuring will be track in bug #344861.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Peter Volkov

В Втр, 09/11/2010 в 18:20 -0500, Anthony G. Basile пишет:
> Title: Restructuring of Hardened profiles
[...]
> Display-If-Profile: hardened/linux

Is it possible to restrict this news item to be shown on affected
profiles only?

--
Peter.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Christian Faulhammer

Hi,

"Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@gentoo.org>:
> 1) authorship - I've added another line for the entire hardened team.
> I've kept my name in there because I'm the point person for the work.

That was my intention, not replacement, though I should have expressed
that more clearly.

> 2) bug tracking - I refer at the end to a bug which will track the
> progress so the user can look to see where we are in the processs

Typo in last sentence: *tracked

V-Li

<URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>

Old 11-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Petteri Räty

On 11/10/2010 02:42 PM, Peter Volkov wrote:
> В Втр, 09/11/2010 в 18:20 -0500, Anthony G. Basile пишет:
>> Title: Restructuring of Hardened profiles
> [...]
>> Display-If-Profile: hardened/linux
>
> Is it possible to restrict this news item to be shown on affected
> profiles only?

Yeah it shouldn't show up in new installs that are already using the
migrated profiles.

Regards,
Petteri

Old 11-10-2010, 08:11 PM
"Anthony G. Basile"

On 11/10/2010 08:30 AM, Christian Faulhammer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@gentoo.org>:
>> 1) authorship - I've added another line for the entire hardened team.
>> I've kept my name in there because I'm the point person for the work.
> That was my intention, not replacement, though I should have expressed
> that more clearly.
>
>> 2) bug tracking - I refer at the end to a bug which will track the
>> progress so the user can look to see where we are in the processs
> Typo in last sentence: *tracked
>

> V-Li

Thanks for catching the typo. I don't know why I have such difficulties
seeing my own typos. I appreciate it when others catch these --- it
saves me from getting egg all over my face

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Gentoo Developer

Old 11-10-2010, 08:22 PM
"Anthony G. Basile"

пишет:

>>> Title: Restructuring of Hardened profiles

>> [...]

>>> Display-If-Profile: hardened/linux

>> Is it possible to restrict this news item to be shown
on affected

>> profiles only?

> Yeah it shouldn't show up in new installs that are already
using the

> migrated profiles.

> Regards,

> Petteri

I'm not sure how to address this concern.* I reread GLEP-42 and
all I

see is

Display-If-Installed: eg. net-www/apache

Display-If-Keyword: eg. amd64

Display-If-Profile: eg linux/hardened

If someone knows how, I'll be happy to address this concern.

--

Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.

Gentoo Developer

Old 11-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Matthew Summers

пишет:

>>> Title: Restructuring of Hardened profiles

>> [...]

>>> Display-If-Profile: hardened/linux

>> Is it possible to restrict this news item to be shown
on affected

>> profiles only?

> Yeah it shouldn't show up in new installs that are already
using the

> migrated profiles.

> Regards,

> Petteri

I'm not sure how to address this concern.* I reread GLEP-42 and
all I

see is

Display-If-Installed: eg. net-www/apache

Display-If-Keyword: eg. amd64

Display-If-Profile: eg linux/hardened

If someone knows how, I'll be happy to address this concern.

--

Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.

Gentoo Developer

I suspect it should be the following.
Display-If-Profile:*hardened/linux/amd64/10.0Display-If-Profile: hardened/linux/amd64/10.0/no-multilib..
.etc.
Now, I have no clear indication that "Display-If-Profile" can be used more than once or if it accepts an _expression_ that would allow us to catch both the multilib and no-multilib examples, as well as the x86 profile, etc.

Cheers,
--
Matthew W. Summers

Old 11-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Matthew Summers

.
.etc.
Now, I have no clear indication that "Display-If-Profile" can be used more than once or if it accepts an _expression_ that would allow us to catch both the multilib and no-multilib examples, as well as the x86 profile, etc.

Cheers,
--
Matthew W. Summers

So, I re-read GLEP 42 and this snippet makes it clear that we will need one "Display-If-Profile" header element for each profile we are migrating.

The algorithm used to determine whether a news item is 'relevant' is as follows:
For each Display-If- header type which occurs at least once:
The news item is not relevant if none of the headers of this type are successfully matched.
Otherwise the news item is relevant.
Regards--
Matthew W. Summers

Old 11-10-2010, 09:44 PM
"Anthony G. Basile"

Basile пишет:

profiles

to be shown on affected

are already using the

>>> I'm not sure how to address this concern. I reread
GLEP-42 and all I

>>> see is

>>> Display-If-Installed: eg. net-www/apache

>>> Display-If-Keyword: eg. amd64

>>> Display-If-Profile: eg linux/hardened

>>> If someone knows how, I'll be happy to address this
concern.

>>> --

>>> Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.

>>> Gentoo Developer

>> I suspect it should be the following.

>> Display-If-Profile: hardened/linux/amd64/10.0

>> Display-If-Profile:
hardened/linux/amd64/10.0/no-multilib

>> .

>> .

>> .

>> etc.

>> Now, I have no clear indication that
"Display-If-Profile" can be used more

>> than once or if it accepts an _expression_ that would
allow us to catch both

>> the multilib and no-multilib examples, as well as the
x86 profile, etc.

>> Cheers,

>> --

>> Matthew W. Summers

> So, I re-read GLEP 42 and this snippet makes it clear that
we will need one

> "Display-If-Profile" header element for each profile we are
migrating.

> The algorithm used to determine whether a news item is
'relevant' is as

> follows:

> For each Display-If- header type which occurs at least
once:

> The news item is not relevant if none of the headers of
this type are

> successfully matched.

> Otherwise the news item is relevant.

> Regards

The list of effected profiles is fairly long ->

cd /usr/portage/profiles/hardened/linux/ && find . -type d
| grep 10.0

./ia64/10.0

./ia64/10.0/server

./ia64/10.0/desktop

./ia64/10.0/developer

./x86/10.0

./x86/10.0/server

./x86/10.0/no-nptl

./x86/10.0/desktop

./x86/10.0/developer

./amd64/10.0

./amd64/10.0/server

./amd64/10.0/desktop

./amd64/10.0/no-multilib

./amd64/10.0/developer

./powerpc/ppc32/10.0

./powerpc/ppc32/10.0/server

./powerpc/ppc32/10.0/desktop

./powerpc/ppc32/10.0/developer

./powerpc/ppc64/10.0

./powerpc/ppc64/10.0/server

./powerpc/ppc64/10.0/desktop

./powerpc/ppc64/10.0/32bit-userland

./powerpc/ppc64/10.0/32bit-userland/server

./powerpc/ppc64/10.0/32bit-userland/desktop

./powerpc/ppc64/10.0/32bit-userland/developer

./powerpc/ppc64/10.0/64bit-userland

./powerpc/ppc64/10.0/64bit-userland/server

./powerpc/ppc64/10.0/64bit-userland/desktop

./powerpc/ppc64/10.0/64bit-userland/developer

./powerpc/ppc64/10.0/developer

If this can be reduced by removing the subprofiles then it reduces

./ia64/10.0

./x86/10.0

./amd64/10.0

./powerpc/ppc32/10.0

./powerpc/ppc64/10.0

If someone can assure me it will work, change my current

Display-If-Profile to

Display-If-Profile: hardened/linux/ia64/10.0

Display-If-Profile: hardened/linux/x86/10.0

Display-If-Profile: hardened/linux/amd64/10.0

Display-If-Profile: hardened/linux/powerpc/ppc32/10.0

Display-If-Profile: hardened/linux/powerpc/ppc64/10.0

--

Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.

Gentoo Developer