Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-development/)
-   -   Hardened is planning on restructuring its profiles (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-development/448931-hardened-planning-restructuring-its-profiles.html)

"Anthony G. Basile" 11-06-2010 01:37 PM

Hardened is planning on restructuring its profiles
 
Hi everyone,

The hardened team is planning to restructure its profiles so that there
is no version. Thus on a amd64 system,

[8] hardened/linux/amd64/10.0
[9] hardened/linux/amd64/10.0/no-multilib

would appear as

[8] hardened/linux/amd64
[9] hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib

We're planning on starting with the minor arches and then moving onto
x86 and amd64. Since this has the potential to impact all profiles
(given the complex inheritance structure), we'd like any feedback or
caveats before we proceed.

Anthony G. Basile (blueness)
and the hardened team

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Gentoo Developer

Theo Chatzimichos 11-06-2010 01:46 PM

Hardened is planning on restructuring its profiles
 
On Saturday 06 November 2010 16:37:41 Anthony G. Basile wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> The hardened team is planning to restructure its profiles so that there
> is no version. Thus on a amd64 system,
>
> [8] hardened/linux/amd64/10.0
> [9] hardened/linux/amd64/10.0/no-multilib
>
> would appear as
>
> [8] hardened/linux/amd64
> [9] hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib
>
> We're planning on starting with the minor arches and then moving onto
> x86 and amd64. Since this has the potential to impact all profiles
> (given the complex inheritance structure), we'd like any feedback or
> caveats before we proceed.
>
> Anthony G. Basile (blueness)
> and the hardened team

News item please
--
Theo Chatzimichos (tampakrap)
Gentoo KDE/Qt, Planet, Overlays

Alex Alexander 11-06-2010 02:45 PM

Hardened is planning on restructuring its profiles
 
On 6 Nov 2010, at 16:37, "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@gentoo.org> wrote:

>
> Hi everyone,
>
> The hardened team is planning to restructure its profiles so that there
> is no version. Thus on a amd64 system,
>
> [8] hardened/linux/amd64/10.0
> [9] hardened/linux/amd64/10.0/no-multilib
>
> would appear as
>
> [8] hardened/linux/amd64
> [9] hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib
>
> We're planning on starting with the minor arches and then moving onto
> x86 and amd64. Since this has the potential to impact all profiles
> (given the complex inheritance structure), we'd like any feedback or
> caveats before we proceed.
>
> Anthony G. Basile (blueness)
> and the hardened team
>
> --
> Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
> Gentoo Developer
>
>

I'd like to know why you made this decision :)

also, what will you do in the future if the need to make a change that breaks stuff shows up?

Alex | wired | sent from my i4

"Anthony G. Basile" 11-06-2010 03:32 PM

Hardened is planning on restructuring its profiles
 
On 11/06/2010 10:46 AM, Theo Chatzimichos wrote:

> On Saturday 06 November 2010
16:37:41 Anthony G. Basile wrote:

>> Hi everyone,

>>

>> The hardened team is planning to restructure its
profiles so that there

>> is no version. Thus on a amd64 system,

>>

>> [8] hardened/linux/amd64/10.0

>> [9] hardened/linux/amd64/10.0/no-multilib

>>

>> would appear as

>>

>> [8] hardened/linux/amd64

>> [9] hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib

>>

>> We're planning on starting with the minor arches and
then moving onto

>> x86 and amd64. Since this has the potential to impact
all profiles

>> (given the complex inheritance structure), we'd like
any feedback or

>> caveats before we proceed.

>>

>> Anthony G. Basile (blueness)

>> and the hardened team

>

> News item please



Yes, definitely.* We didn't prepare a news item yet because we'd
like

to hear back from the community first.



--

Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.

Gentoo Developer

"Anthony G. Basile" 11-07-2010 12:21 AM

Hardened is planning on restructuring its profiles
 
On 11/06/2010 11:45 AM, Alex Alexander wrote:
> On 6 Nov 2010, at 16:37, "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> The hardened team is planning to restructure its profiles so that there
>> is no version. Thus on a amd64 system,
>>
>> [8] hardened/linux/amd64/10.0
>> [9] hardened/linux/amd64/10.0/no-multilib
>>
>> would appear as
>>
>> [8] hardened/linux/amd64
>> [9] hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib
>>
>> We're planning on starting with the minor arches and then moving onto
>> x86 and amd64. Since this has the potential to impact all profiles
>> (given the complex inheritance structure), we'd like any feedback or
>> caveats before we proceed.
>>
>> Anthony G. Basile (blueness)
>> and the hardened team
>>
>> --
>> Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
>> Gentoo Developer
>>
>>
>
> I'd like to know why you made this decision :)
>
> also, what will you do in the future if the need to make a change that breaks stuff shows up?
>
> Alex | wired | sent from my i4

The idea here is that if the version changes from 10.0 to 12.0 or
whatever, then the user doesn't have to change profiles. They can just
stay on (say) hardened/linux/amd64 and we'll make the profile change
behind the scene by modifying a line like ../../../releases/10.0 to
../../../releases/12.0

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Gentoo Developer


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:56 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.