FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-02-2010, 02:24 AM
Rafael Goncalves Martins
 
Default New category for Lua related packages

Hi all,

as said in my blog post [1], I'm planing to improve our support to the
Lua [2] programming language, adding packages for the libraries and
the related software. Actually we already have some libraries on the
tree but they are spread in some categories like dev-lang and
dev-libs.

I think that a first step should be create a new category, maybe
called dev-lua, for all the Lua related stuff.

Are any of you against the creation of this new category?

[1] http://rafaelmartins.eng.br/en-us/post/lua-libraries-on-gentoo/
[2] http://www.lua.org/

Best regards,

--
Rafael Goncalves Martins
Gentoo Linux developer
http://rafaelmartins.eng.br/
 
Old 11-02-2010, 06:09 AM
"Paweł Hajdan, Jr."
 
Default New category for Lua related packages

On 11/2/10 4:24 AM, Rafael Goncalves Martins wrote:
> I think that a first step should be create a new category, maybe
> called dev-lua, for all the Lua related stuff.

Just checking: how many packages would be in the new category?

Generally sounds good.
 
Old 11-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Rafael Goncalves Martins
 
Default New category for Lua related packages

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 5:09 AM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr."
<phajdan.jr@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 11/2/10 4:24 AM, Rafael Goncalves Martins wrote:
>> I think that a first step should be create a new category, maybe
>> called dev-lua, for all the Lua related stuff.
>
> Just checking: how many packages would be in the new category?
>

From a quick search, the packages are:

dev-lang/luarocks
dev-lang/toluapp
dev-libs/luaevent-prosody
dev-libs/luaexpat
dev-libs/luafilesystem
dev-libs/luasec
dev-libs/luasocket
dev-util/luadoc

but as I'm planning to add more soon, should be good to fix this now,
when will be pretty easy to fix the reverse dependencies.

Best regards,

--
Rafael Goncalves Martins
Gentoo Linux developer
http://rafaelmartins.eng.br/
 
Old 11-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Dirkjan Ochtman
 
Default New category for Lua related packages

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 04:24, Rafael Goncalves Martins
<rafaelmartins@gentoo.org> wrote:
> I think that a first step should be create a new category, maybe
> called dev-lua, for all the Lua related stuff.

+1.

Cheers,

Dirkjan
 
Old 11-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Donnie Berkholz
 
Default New category for Lua related packages

On 08:09 Tue 02 Nov , "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
> On 11/2/10 4:24 AM, Rafael Goncalves Martins wrote:
> > I think that a first step should be create a new category, maybe
> > called dev-lua, for all the Lua related stuff.
>
> Just checking: how many packages would be in the new category?

In case anyone was wondering, I wanted to check how many packages
typically showed up in a category. Here's a histogram of the
distribution. The number of packages are in column 1, and the number of
categories having that many packages are in column 2 (bin size 10,
number shown ±5).

To summarize, half the categories have 10-50 packages, then there are a
number of huge ones. If you can get at least 15 packages, it's a
reasonable starting point for a new category.

5 5
15 19
25 15
35 21
45 14
55 9
65 7
75 10
85 9
95 2
105 7
115 1
125 4
135 4
145 1
165 1
185 4
195 1
205 1
215 1
225 1
245 2
255 1
265 3
295 2
345 2
355 2
375 1
485 1
545 1
985 1


--
Thanks,
Donnie

Donnie Berkholz
Sr. Developer, Gentoo Linux
Blog: http://dberkholz.wordpress.com
 
Old 11-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Rafael Goncalves Martins
 
Default New category for Lua related packages

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 08:09 Tue 02 Nov * * , "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
>> On 11/2/10 4:24 AM, Rafael Goncalves Martins wrote:
>> > I think that a first step should be create a new category, maybe
>> > called dev-lua, for all the Lua related stuff.
>>
>> Just checking: how many packages would be in the new category?
>
> In case anyone was wondering, I wanted to check how many packages
> typically showed up in a category. Here's a histogram of the
> distribution. The number of packages are in column 1, and the number of
> categories having that many packages are in column 2 (bin size 10,
> number shown ±5).
>
> To summarize, half the categories have 10-50 packages, then there are a
> number of huge ones. If you can get at least 15 packages, it's a
> reasonable starting point for a new category.
>
> 5 * * * 5
> 15 * * *19
> 25 * * *15
> 35 * * *21
> 45 * * *14
> 55 * * *9
> 65 * * *7
> 75 * * *10
> 85 * * *9
> 95 * * *2
> 105 * * 7
> 115 * * 1
> 125 * * 4
> 135 * * 4
> 145 * * 1
> 165 * * 1
> 185 * * 4
> 195 * * 1
> 205 * * 1
> 215 * * 1
> 225 * * 1
> 245 * * 2
> 255 * * 1
> 265 * * 3
> 295 * * 2
> 345 * * 2
> 355 * * 2
> 375 * * 1
> 485 * * 1
> 545 * * 1
> 985 * * 1
>

Hi Donnie,

thanks for the stats.

I'm just wondering if it's worth add the packages now, before create
the new category, and have more packages to fix when creating the new
category.

Best regards,

--
Rafael Goncalves Martins
Gentoo Linux developer
http://rafaelmartins.eng.br/
 
Old 11-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Kfir Lavi
 
Default New category for Lua related packages

To summarize, half the categories have 10-50 packages, then there are a

number of huge ones. If you can get at least 15 packages, it's a

reasonable starting point for a new category.

I wouldn't have a limit like 15 on it. My first thought for checking Lua is looking in /usr/portage/dev-lua
It is a behavior exactly as people would expect.


I would go for it .... Include my +1 ;-)

Kfir
 
Old 11-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Diego Elio Pettenò
 
Default New category for Lua related packages

Il giorno mer, 03/11/2010 alle 18.46 -0200, Rafael Goncalves Martins ha
scritto:
>
>
> I'm just wondering if it's worth add the packages now, before create
> the new category, and have more packages to fix when creating the new
> category.

Create the category before adding the packages. pkgmoves are expensive
operations especially for those of us who use binary packages

--
Diego Elio Pettenò — “Flameeyes”
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/

If you found a .asc file in this mail and know not what it is,
it's a GnuPG digital signature: http://www.gnupg.org/
 
Old 11-05-2010, 03:25 AM
Rafael Goncalves Martins
 
Default New category for Lua related packages

I've just created a tracker bug [1] and CC'd the affected maintainers.

[1] http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=344229

Best regards,

--
Rafael Goncalves Martins
Gentoo Linux developer
http://rafaelmartins.eng.br/
 
Old 11-06-2010, 01:26 AM
Rafael Goncalves Martins
 
Default New category for Lua related packages

Looks like the new category is created and the packages are moved!

If you have some issue with the pkgmoves, please reopen the tracker
bug,open a new bug and make the tracker depends on it.

Thanks guys!

--
Rafael Goncalves Martins
Gentoo Linux developer
http://rafaelmartins.eng.br/
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:46 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org