Old 11-01-2010, 07:43 AM
Ulrich Mueller

Default RFC: mesa.eselect

> Attached you will find the eselect module which we used in the X11
> overlay, and the configuration file from mesa.

Is there a specific reason why the "list" action doesn't output a
numbered list? Also the "set" action should accept a number argument.

Ulrich

Old 11-01-2010, 07:44 AM
Duncan

Ch*-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn posted on Sun, 31 Oct 2010 23:30:36 +0100 as
excerpted:

> media-libs/mesa-7.9 has been sitting in the X11 overlay for some time
> and the X11 team are planning to move it to portage soon.
> The new release brings a number of improvements, including much better
> Gallium3D support. One feature that we would like to add to Mesa in
> Gentoo is the ability to switch between "classic" and "gallium" drivers
> via an eselect module.

I've been running the x11 overlay for some time, and had been wondering
how I was supposed to switch between gallium and classic for Radeon. I'd
noticed eselect-mesa being merged, but hadn't made the connection.

So thanks for the hint! Now I can try gallium on the r600 =:^) (and
actually see that I had classic selected, something I thought was the
case, but had no idea how to check, before). I figured it should be
possible, but hadn't really looked into how, too deeply.

FWIW, if there was anything about how that's supposed to work in the
post-install messages or the like, I must have missed it, and I'm
/usually/ pretty good about going thru those. So perhaps either adding
such messages or making them a bit more visible might be useful.

Now that I know about it, I'm going to try it. If I find any bugs, I'll
be sure and file them. =:^)

Old 11-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Christian Faulhammer

Hi,

Ch*-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn <chithanh@gentoo.org>:
> * Accept numbers as do_set() arguments

Taken from emacs.eselect

# target may be specified by its name or its index
if is_number "${target}"; then
# numeric index, find the target's name
targets=( $(find_targets) )
[[ ${target} -ge 1 && ${target} -le ${#targets[@]} ]]
|| die -q "Number out of range: ${1}"
target=${targets[target-1]}
fi

I would love to have more comments to explain in general and
specifically for the structure of MESA_DRIVERS. The rest of the review
is mostly a matter of style.

> CONFIG_DIR="${EROOT}/usr/share/mesa"

Maybe something less generic as variable name? Also the local x, y, z
variables could be named a bit more obvious.

> for y in classic gallium; do
> z=$(get_drivername ${family} ${y})
> [ -f ${MESA_DIR}/${z} -o -L ${MESA_DIR}/${z} ] &&
> ret+="${y} " done

I would welcome more if constructs instead of &&, as it makes the code
more readable.

V-Li

<URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>

Old 11-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Duncan

Ulrich Mueller posted on Mon, 01 Nov 2010 09:43:17 +0100 as excerpted:

>> Attached you will find the eselect module which we used in the X11
>> overlay, and the configuration file from mesa.
>
> Is there a specific reason why the "list" action doesn't output a
> numbered list? Also the "set" action should accept a number argument.

You apparently missed this from the TODO list (with the note that he
doesn't consider the TODOs a blocker for addition to the tree):

* Accept numbers as do_set() arguments

Old 11-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Ulrich Mueller

>> Is there a specific reason why the "list" action doesn't output a
>> numbered list? Also the "set" action should accept a number
>> argument.

> You apparently missed this from the TODO list

Looks like. Sorry for that.

> (with the note that he doesn't consider the TODOs a blocker for
> addition to the tree):

> * Accept numbers as do_set() arguments

One of the points of eselect is that there is a unique user interface
in different modules. Therefore one shouldn't deviate from conventions
without a very good reason.

Besides, the list action not displaying a numbered list will break
bash completion.

Ulrich

Old 11-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Pacho Ramos

El dom, 31-10-2010 a las 23:30 +0100, Ch*-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
escribió:
> Hi,
>
> media-libs/mesa-7.9 has been sitting in the X11 overlay for some time
> and the X11 team are planning to move it to portage soon.
> The new release brings a number of improvements, including much better
> Gallium3D support. One feature that we would like to add to Mesa in
> Gentoo is the ability to switch between "classic" and "gallium" drivers
> via an eselect module.
>
> Attached you will find the eselect module which we used in the X11
> overlay, and the configuration file from mesa. There are still some
> things on the TODO list but I consider them not blockers for addition to
> the tree. As this is the first eselect module I have written, I would
> welcome your comments and pointers.
>
> TODO:
> * Add support for switching emul-linux-x86-opengl on amd64 multilib
> * Accept numbers as do_set() arguments
> * Make the code a bit more compact
> Untested:
> * Prefix support
>

> Best regards,
> Ch*-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn

Is there any kind of information (doc page, news item...) planned for
explaining when it's better to switch to gallium3d and when not? For
example, one of the systems I administrate has a r300 device, but I
haven't followed at all gallium progress and, I guess, you cannot asume
most of the people know about all this. Then, I think that, for example,
a news item would be useful to know what drivers should we use.

Thanks a lot

Old 11-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Ondřej Súkup

>> Best regards,
>> Ch*-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
>>

> Is there any kind of information (doc page, news item...) planned for
> explaining when it's better to switch to gallium3d and when not? For
> example, one of the systems I administrate has a r300 device, but I
> haven't followed at all gallium progress and, I guess, you cannot asume
> most of the people know about all this. Then, I think that, for example,
> a news item would be useful to know what drivers should we use.
>
> Thanks a lot

r300g is in good state, fully supported