Old 10-31-2010, 03:32 AM
"Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto"

Default Gentoo's plan to remove .la files: QA document

Old 10-31-2010, 09:40 AM
Pacho Ramos

El dom, 31-10-2010 a las 03:32 -0100, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto
escribió:

> Hi.
>
> As outlined in the global email about this issue, this email is to start
> a thread about the QA document. Please reply to this thread if you
> have any comments about this point.
>

> 3. Add a page to the QA project space (unless they're not interested)
> about la files and how to deal with them
>
> I think we can ask Diego to use large parts of his blog posts and charts
> about .la files[1], [2], [3], [4] as a source for the document. We can
> also add some basic info from the autobook[5], [6]. The goal would be to
> have a document similar to our own --as-needed guide [7] and to other
> distributions[8], [9].
> Anyone wishes to volunteer for this task?
> QA would such a document be welcomed in your project space?
>

> [1] - http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2008/04/14/whatabout-those-la-files
> [2] -
> http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2008/07/02/again-about-la-files-or-why-should-they-be-killed-off-sooner-rather-than-later
> [3] -
> http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2009/07/06/identifying-pointless-la-files-for-plugins
> [4] -
> http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2009/09/28/removing-la-files-for-dum-w-uncertain-people
> [5] - http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/autobook/autobook_11.html#SEC11
> [6] - http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/autobook/autobook_68.html#SEC68
> [7] - http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/asneeded.xml
> [8] - http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Libtool_archives#shared_build
> [9] - http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Overlinking
>

> - --
> Regards,

I rely a lot on devmanual, then, I think would be interesting to create
a section on it telling us when should we remove .la files and how to do
it properly.

Thanks a lot :-)

Old 10-31-2010, 12:58 PM
Diego Elio Pettenò

Il giorno dom, 31/10/2010 alle 03.32 -0100, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto
ha scritto:

> I think we can ask Diego to use large parts of his blog posts and
> charts
> about .la files[1], [2], [3], [4] as a source for the document.

I'll relicense the lafiles posts under CC-BY-SA for compatibility with
the license of official Gentoo documentation.

--
Diego Elio Pettenò — “Flameeyes”
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/

If you found a .asc file in this mail and know not what it is,
it's a GnuPG digital signature: http://www.gnupg.org/