Old 10-31-2010, 03:28 AM
"Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto"

Default Gentoo's plan to remove .la files: eutils function

Old 10-31-2010, 07:28 AM
Christopher Schwan

Hi,

I followed this discussion quietly until now - I wonder why no one (?) has
mentioned the autotool-utils.eclass which is dedicated for this purpose (la-
file removal, static-libs USE-flag, etc), I think. This eclass also provides a
function "remove_libtool_files" which does what "delete_libtool_archives" would
do, but it also checks for situation where the files would be needed.

On Sunday 31 October 2010 05:28:42 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
> Hi.
>
> As outlined in the global email about this issue, this email is to start
> a thread about the eutils function. Please reply to this thread if you
> have any comments about this point.
>
> 1. Add a function to eutils to deal with the removal of the .la files.
>
> delete_libtool_archives() { find "${@:$D}" -name '*.la' -delete }
>
> That function was suggested by Diego, but Arfrever has argued that we
> should replace : with - as '"${@:$D}" expands to a subarray containing
> elements starting with element with index $D (where element 0 is $0)'.
> The point in having this function in eutils is to ensure we use a
> consistent way to address the .la files. This will also make it much
> easier to adapt or review this function if needed.

Cheers,

Christopher

Old 10-31-2010, 11:26 AM
Thomas Sachau

Am 31.10.2010 09:28, schrieb Christopher Schwan:
> Hi,
>
> I followed this discussion quietly until now - I wonder why no one (?) has
> mentioned the autotool-utils.eclass which is dedicated for this purpose (la-
> file removal, static-libs USE-flag, etc), I think. This eclass also provides a
> function "remove_libtool_files" which does what "delete_libtool_archives" would
> do, but it also checks for situation where the files would be needed.
>
> On Sunday 31 October 2010 05:28:42 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> As outlined in the global email about this issue, this email is to start
>> a thread about the eutils function. Please reply to this thread if you
>> have any comments about this point.
>>
>> 1. Add a function to eutils to deal with the removal of the .la files.
>>
>> delete_libtool_archives() { find "${@:$D}" -name '*.la' -delete }
>>
>> That function was suggested by Diego, but Arfrever has argued that we
>> should replace : with - as '"${@:$D}" expands to a subarray containing
>> elements starting with element with index $D (where element 0 is $0)'.
>> The point in having this function in eutils is to ensure we use a
>> consistent way to address the .la files. This will also make it much
>> easier to adapt or review this function if needed.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Christopher

Please dont top post, it makes it harder to read threads.

That suggested line will remove all .la files blindly, but there are 2 types of .la files:
-those, which are only used for linking/static files
-those, which are used at runtime, e.g. for plugins

The line should exclude those .la files, which contain "shouldnotlinkto=yes" or directly use the
autotools-utils eclass as suggested, since it already contains this functionality together with a
nice USE flag (static-libs) for it.

--
Thomas Sachau

Gentoo Linux Developer

Old 10-31-2010, 12:48 PM
Diego Elio Pettenò

Il giorno dom, 31/10/2010 alle 13.26 +0100, Thomas Sachau ha scritto:

> The line should exclude those .la files, which contain
> "shouldnotlinkto=yes" or directly use the
> autotools-utils eclass as suggested, since it already contains this
> functionality together with a
> nice USE flag (static-libs) for it.

This would exclude all plugin .la files which are also NOT NEEDED in
most cases.

And I'm starting to get angry at people who install .la files for PAM
modules… or Ruby extensions… or Python modules… and so on so…

_Most of them must die on a package-by-package basis._

--
Diego Elio Pettenò — “Flameeyes”
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/

If you found a .asc file in this mail and know not what it is,
it's a GnuPG digital signature: http://www.gnupg.org/