Old 10-29-2010, 12:02 PM
justin

Default RFC: global USE lzma

Hi all,

Currently there are ten packages using lzma in their USE and its always
used for the same purpose, providing support for lzma compression. And
as lzma compression gets more and more popular the number will increase.
What do you think about moving the USE to a global scope?

justin

Current list:

# euse -i lzma
global use flags (searching: lzma)
no matching entries found

local use flags (searching: lzma)
[- ] lzma (app-arch/libarchive):
Allow accessing lzma-compressed archives through the lzma library
(app-arch/xz-utils). This only affects libarchive's native support:
bsdtar will keep using unlzma as a filter if that's not built-in.

[- ] lzma (dev-libs/elfutils):
Support automatic decompression of LZMA-compressed files and kernel images.

[- ] lzma (gnome-extra/yelp):
Enables support for LZMA compressed info and man pages

[- ] lzma (kde-base/ark):
Enable LZMA/XZ archive support

[- ] lzma (kde-base/kdebase-kioslaves):
Enable LZMA/XZ archive support

[- ] lzma (kde-base/kdelibs):
Enable LZMA/XZ archive support

[- ] lzma (sci-electronics/gtkwave):
Enables LZMA support for VZT

[- ] lzma (sci-libs/getdata):
Support for encodings provided by liblzma

[- ] lzma (sys-apps/man):
Uses app-arch/lzma-utils for the COMPRESS feature. Could also be used to
guarantee that lzma is on the system.

[- ] lzma (sys-fs/squashfs-tools):
Support LZMA compression

Old 10-29-2010, 12:12 PM
Dirkjan Ochtman

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 14:02, justin <jlec@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Currently there are ten packages using lzma in their USE and its always
> used for the same purpose, providing support for lzma compression. And
> as lzma compression gets more and more popular the number will increase.
> What do you think about moving the USE to a global scope?

+1.

Cheers,

Dirkjan

Old 11-06-2010, 02:12 PM
justin

HI,

has there are no objections I will add it to global as

"Support for LZMA/XZ (de)compression algorithm"

justin

Old 11-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Pacho Ramos

El sáb, 06-11-2010 a las 16:12 +0100, justin escribió:
> HI,
>
> has there are no objections I will add it to global as
>
> "Support for LZMA/XZ (de)compression algorithm"
>

> justin

I would vote for calling that new global USE flag "xz" instead of "lzma"
since, if I don't misremember, lzma is going to be replaced by xz

Thanks

Old 11-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Michał Górny

On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 16:12:57 +0100
justin <jlec@gentoo.org> wrote:

> has there are no objections I will add it to global as
>
> "Support for LZMA/XZ (de)compression algorithm"

XZ is not an algorithm. AFAIK .xz is just a file format using LZMA2.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny

Old 11-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Tomáš Chvátal

Old 11-06-2010, 11:13 PM
Pacho Ramos

El sáb, 06-11-2010 a las 17:44 +0100, Tomáš Chvátal escribió:
> Dne 6.11.2010 16:49, Pacho Ramos napsal(a):
> > El sáb, 06-11-2010 a las 16:12 +0100, justin escribió:
> >> HI,
> >>
> >> has there are no objections I will add it to global as
> >>
> >> "Support for LZMA/XZ (de)compression algorithm"
> >>

> >> justin
> >>

> > I would vote for calling that new global USE flag "xz" instead of "lzma"
> > since, if I don't misremember, lzma is going to be replaced by xz
> >
> > Thanks
> .xz is file suffix, algorithm is lzmaVERSION. where god knows what
> version it is now.

Didn't know that, then, lzma looks like the best option. Thanks

As a side note, probably sys-fs/avfs would need to rename "xz" local USE
flag to "lzma" ;-)

Best regards