Old 10-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Fabian Groffen

Default New eshowkw

Hi Tomáš,

On 26-10-2010 17:39:04 +0200, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
> So since I would like to have this script replace current eshowkw one I
> want to ask you for kind help on that script and review it and suggest
> improvements.
>
> If the script lack some feature you really want to use also let me know,
> maybe it wont be too hard to implement.

I havent looked at your implementation, but regarding your "screenshot",
some questions, suggestions, remarks.

I think you should implement some means of selecting which archs you
want to plot. Preferably through some config file thing. I'd think of
specifying per arch, and or using predefined sets, e.g. to remove all
prefix arches, since they spoil any output with huge unreadable
matrices.

Have you ever played with rotating the view? Some keywords are awfully
long, like sparc64-solaris. Most versions are shorter.
In case the number of versions is small, you could even have the
versions in columnar style (e.g. not vertical, just a column spanning a
couple of chars), such that it is much better readable.

Maybe consider a raw, tab, csv alike output format, for easy parsing by
other scripts? Could perhaps handy to render it alternatively as xml,
latex, etc.

Maybe introduce some more natural language mode? E.g. some indication
per version if all arches are keyworded, stable, per version what arches
are still missing...

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 10-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Krzysztof Pawlik

On 10/26/10 17:39, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
> Hello guys,
> I took last few days to rewrite our eshowkw script from bash to python
> and enhance its functionality.

I did the same some time ago, check it:
http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=dev/nelchael.git;a=blob;f=scripts/eshowkw.py.

--
Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael at gentoo.org> key id: 0xF6A80E46
desktop-misc, java, vim, kernel, python, apache...

Old 10-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Peter Volkov

В Втр, 26/10/2010 в 17:39 +0200, Tomáš Chvátal пишет:

> If the script lack some feature you really want to use also let me know,
> maybe it wont be too hard to implement.

Nice! What I always missed is an ability to print stable archs in format
ready to use in bugzilla's CC field, IOW output string like:

amd64@gentoo.org,x86@gentoo.org

where amd64,x86 are archs where package has stable keywords

--
Peter.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

Krzysztof Pawlik schrieb am 26.10.2010 18:34:
> On 10/26/10 17:39, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
>> Hello guys,
>> I took last few days to rewrite our eshowkw script from bash to python
>> and enhance its functionality.
>
> I did the same some time ago, check it:
> http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=dev/nelchael.git;a=blob;f=scripts/eshowkw.py.

Why didn't you you introduce this to the community like Tomáš did? That
would have saved some time and both of you and everyone interested could
have worked on it. It is a perfect addition to gentoolkit-dev.

I wonder how many cool tools float around in the dev-spaces none is
aware of. I remember a thread here which tried to collect those and
place them somewhere public. Instead doing so why not adding them to
gentoolkit[-dev]. I guess most of them try to make Gentoo [development]
work easier.

--
Daniel Pielmeier

Old 10-26-2010, 06:38 PM
Krzysztof Pawlik

On 10/26/10 20:24, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
> Krzysztof Pawlik schrieb am 26.10.2010 18:34:
>> On 10/26/10 17:39, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
>>> Hello guys,
>>> I took last few days to rewrite our eshowkw script from bash to python
>>> and enhance its functionality.
>>
>> I did the same some time ago, check it:
>> http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=dev/nelchael.git;a=blob;f=scripts/eshowkw.py.
>>

> Why didn't you you introduce this to the community like Tomáš did? That
> would have saved some time and both of you and everyone interested could
> have worked on it. It is a perfect addition to gentoolkit-dev.

Good question, it was written quite a while ago, I had plans to add some nice
features and announce it to wider audience. Then 'Real Life (TM)' came into play
and... it ended up the way it is currently. The only three 'features' that I
managed to pack into it so far are: more usage of colors/bold fonts, slot
display and acceptable performance.

nelchael@s-lappy ~$ time eshowkw gcc > /dev/null

real 0m0.965s
user 0m0.900s
sys 0m0.060s
nelchael@s-lappy ~$ time /usr/bin/eshowkw gcc > /dev/null

real 0m2.559s
user 0m0.544s
sys 0m0.416s
nelchael@s-lappy ~$ time eshowkw wine > /dev/null

real 0m0.980s
user 0m0.876s
sys 0m0.096s
nelchael@s-lappy ~$ time /usr/bin/eshowkw wine > /dev/null

real 0m6.873s
user 0m1.732s
sys 0m0.896s

> I wonder how many cool tools float around in the dev-spaces none is
> aware of. I remember a thread here which tried to collect those and
> place them somewhere public. Instead doing so why not adding them to
> gentoolkit[-dev]. I guess most of them try to make Gentoo [development]
> work easier.

I think that there's a lot of tools around for various reasons. Some folks don;t
publish them just because, others disagree with "current versions" (that was my
motive for writing my version of eshowkw). For example check this (extremely
simple) wrapper around echangelog+repoman: http://dev.gentoo.org/~nelchael/ecommit

One way of improving this situation: make gentoolkit svn repository more
visible, basically improve documentation/knowledge about what to do with useful
tools.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:53 PM
Tomáš Chvátal

Old 10-26-2010, 07:00 PM
Krzysztof Pawlik

On 10/26/10 20:53, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
> Dne 26.10.2010 18:34, Krzysztof Pawlik napsal(a):
>> On 10/26/10 17:39, Tomáa Chvátal wrote:
>>> Hello guys,
>>> I took last few days to rewrite our eshowkw script from bash to python
>>> and enhance its functionality.
>
>> I did the same some time ago, check it:
>> http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=dev/nelchael.git;a=blob;f=scripts/eshowkw.py.
>
> Hehe was not aware of that, thats why i hate when people put their
> scripts into overlays and not to some common repo

Yeah - I know

> Also it does not work for me at all:
>
> scarab@ugly-elf: ~ $ eshowkw.py kdelibs
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/local/bin/eshowkw.py", line 174, in <module>
> showMe(myArch, portage.portdbapi(portage.settings['PORTDIR']), pkg)
> File "/usr/lib64/portage/pym/portage/dbapi/porttree.py", line 95, in
> __init__
> self.repositories = self.settings.repositories
> AttributeError: 'config' object has no attribute 'repositories'

Works for me :P But I'm guessing - portage 2.2_rc<something_huge>, right?

Old 10-26-2010, 07:42 PM
Tomáš Chvátal

Old 10-26-2010, 07:53 PM
Krzysztof Pawlik

On 10/26/10 21:42, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
> Dne 26.10.2010 20:38, Krzysztof Pawlik napsal(a):
>
>> nelchael@s-lappy ~$ time eshowkw gcc > /dev/null
>
> Could you compare speed of your and mine script

Sure:

nelchael@s-lappy ~/tmp$ time eshowkw gcc > /dev/null

real 0m1.025s
user 0m0.924s
sys 0m0.092s
nelchael@s-lappy ~/tmp$ time ./eshowkwng.py gcc > /dev/null

real 0m1.203s
user 0m1.124s
sys 0m0.072s
nelchael@s-lappy ~/tmp$ time /usr/bin/eshowkw gcc > /dev/null

real 0m4.697s
user 0m0.584s
sys 0m0.368s
nelchael@s-lappy ~/tmp$ time eshowkw wine > /dev/null

real 0m1.310s
user 0m0.952s
sys 0m0.092s
nelchael@s-lappy ~/tmp$ time ./eshowkwng.py wine > /dev/null

real 0m1.425s
user 0m1.344s
sys 0m0.076s
nelchael@s-lappy ~/tmp$ time /usr/bin/eshowkw wine > /dev/null

real 0m7.048s
user 0m1.596s
sys 0m1.032s

0.1~0.2 sec is not noticeable much, so I can say that both versions are
significantly faster than eshowkw from gentoolkit-dev

(results for mine version of eshowkw are worse than previous because I'm running
on the battery right now and have powersave governor set)

Old 10-26-2010, 09:01 PM
Tomáš Chvátal

Dne 26.10.2010 18:13, Fabian Groffen napsal(a):
> Hi Tomáš,
>
> On 26-10-2010 17:39:04 +0200, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
>> So since I would like to have this script replace current eshowkw one I
>> want to ask you for kind help on that script and review it and suggest
>> improvements.
>>
>> If the script lack some feature you really want to use also let me know,
>> maybe it wont be too hard to implement.
>
> I havent looked at your implementation, but regarding your "screenshot",
> some questions, suggestions, remarks.
>
> I think you should implement some means of selecting which archs you
> want to plot. Preferably through some config file thing. I'd think of
> specifying per arch, and or using predefined sets, e.g. to remove all
> prefix arches, since they spoil any output with huge unreadable
> matrices.
>
> Have you ever played with rotating the view? Some keywords are awfully
> long, like sparc64-solaris. Most versions are shorter.
> In case the number of versions is small, you could even have the
> versions in columnar style (e.g. not vertical, just a column spanning a
> couple of chars), such that it is much better readable.
>
> Maybe consider a raw, tab, csv alike output format, for easy parsing by
> other scripts? Could perhaps handy to render it alternatively as xml,
> latex, etc.
>
> Maybe introduce some more natural language mode? E.g. some indication
> per version if all arches are keyworded, stable, per version what arches
> are still missing...

Well whole concept of this eshowkw is completely modular, so these
features, at least keywords selection and ommiting prefix stuff is quite
easy to implement.

Not sure about the csv/raw output, but again displaying is just one
function, so it can be replaced

For the missing archs i think we can highlight all other achs if they
are lagging behind other and similar.

Thanks for pointers

Also so far only i wrote this stuff so i would like to ask if anyone
wants to chip in and help me (specially with profiling that thing and
making it faster, as i am not python programmer)

Tom