Old 10-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Tomáš Chvátal

Default New eshowkw

Hello guys,
I took last few days to rewrite our eshowkw script from bash to python
and enhance its functionality.

Not all of you are aware of this usefull script from gentoolkit-dev
package, so let me introduce it:
It is script that shows keywords for package and all its versions in
nice table for easy review. If you take look on the output_gcc.log
attachment it shows what it prints out for our gcc package.

It checks out all versions, identify installed and masked packages,
separate it by slots and detect redundant versions that could be in
theory removed.

So since I would like to have this script replace current eshowkw one I
want to ask you for kind help on that script and review it and suggest
improvements.

If the script lack some feature you really want to use also let me know,
maybe it wont be too hard to implement.

Cheers
Tomas
# # # #
Keywords for sys-devel/gcc:
| s |
| p |
| s a |
| p r |
| a p a c x x x x x x x |
| a m i p s r 6 6 6 6 x 8 8 x 8 8 |
| m d a h i a m m p c p c 4 4 x 4 4 8 6 6 x x 8 6 6 x |
| d 6 r p a 6 6 i p - a - - - 6 - - 6 x - - 8 8 6 - - 8 |
| 6 4 m p 6 4 8 p p c o r s s f 4 o s - 8 f i 6 6 - o s 6 |
| 4 - - a 4 - k s p - p c o o r - p o c 6 r n - - n p o - | u
| a a p s - l l - - l - - c m e - l l e m e l y - e t l m e e l w | n
| l m h i m m p s p f i i h h i m i - a n f a a e a n a g f e e i a t n a i | u s
| p d a p a 6 i p c 3 a x b n n p p n i r a c b b r r b c b r w b b r n c b b r n | s l
| h 6 r p 6 8 p p 6 9 s r 8 s u u u u u n i i o s s i i s o s i i s s i u o s s i n | e o
| a 4 m a 4 k s c 4 0 h c 6 d x x x x x t x x s d d s s d s d s n d d x x s d d s t | d t
--------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------
2.95.3-r9 | + + + + | 2.95
2.95.3-r10 | ~ ~ ~ ~ |
--------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------
3.1.1-r2 | - + + | 3.1
--------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------
3.2.2 | | # 3.2
3.2.3-r4 | + - + + + + + + |
--------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------
3.3.6-r1 | ~ ~ | 3.3
--------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------
3.4.6-r2 | + + + * ~ * ~ + + ~ + + + * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ~ * * * * * * * * | 3.4
--------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------
4.0.4 | * * * * ~ * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * | 4.0
--------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------
4.1.2 | + + + + + * + + + + + + + * * * * * * * * * * * ~ * * * * * * * ~ * * * * * * * * | 4.1
--------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------
4.2.4-r1 | ~ ~ ~ + ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ | 4.2
--------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------
4.3.3-r2 | ~ ~ ~ - ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ | # 4.3
4.3.4 | + + + - + ~ + + + + + + ~ |
4.3.5 | ~ ~ ~ - ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ |
--------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------
4.4.2 | ~ ~ ~ - ~ ~ ~ ~ - ~ ~ | # 4.4
4.4.3-r2 | + + + - + ~ + + ~ + + + ~ |
4.4.3-r3 | ~ ~ + - + ~ ~ ~ ~ + ~ ~ ~ |
[i]4.4.4-r1 | ~ ~ ~ + ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ | #
4.4.4-r2 | ~ + ~ + ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ + ~ |
4.4.5 | ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ |
--------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------
[M]4.5.1 | ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ | 4.5

Old 10-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Donnie Berkholz

On 17:39 Tue 26 Oct , Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
> Hello guys,
> I took last few days to rewrite our eshowkw script from bash to python
> and enhance its functionality.
>
> Not all of you are aware of this usefull script from gentoolkit-dev
> package, so let me introduce it:
> It is script that shows keywords for package and all its versions in
> nice table for easy review. If you take look on the output_gcc.log
> attachment it shows what it prints out for our gcc package.
>
> It checks out all versions, identify installed and masked packages,
> separate it by slots and detect redundant versions that could be in
> theory removed.
>
> So since I would like to have this script replace current eshowkw one I
> want to ask you for kind help on that script and review it and suggest
> improvements.
>
> If the script lack some feature you really want to use also let me know,
> maybe it wont be too hard to implement.

Very cool!

There is one major regression from the previous implementation: it is
twice as slow, at least on my system. You might want to try some
profiling to track this down.

In addition, I suspect that printing during the ebuild-processing phase
(so printing starts earlier) as the previous implementation does would
give the impression of speed.

--
Thanks,
Donnie