Old 10-26-2010, 04:19 AM
Donnie Berkholz

Default Google Code-In: 13-18 year olds in open source

Hi all,

Based on our participation in the Summer of Code, Google invited us to
apply for their revived program for 13-18 year olds called Google
Code-In [1-2]. The basic idea is that students will complete a series of
small tasks rather than one huge project, and the tasks don't even have
to be related (or even involve programming!).

One really neat feature about GCI is that projects can be anything --
documentation, translation, coding, research, whatever. If you've been
feeling that your ideas are left out by GSoC, this is your chance.

After talking with a few devs, there seemed to be a lot of interest in
us getting involved. The application deadline is very soon -- this
Friday! We need a good ideas list by then if we're going to apply. I
created a draft ideas page [3]; please fill it in by the end of the day
on this Thursday.

We're looking for tasks that would take a student 13-18 years old
roughly 1-3 days to complete. Ideas might include writing man pages,
translating a few webpages, perhaps some relatively straightforward
bugfixes, etc. More general ideas are on our ideas page and the GCI
homepage. Because tasks are so short, mentoring will not be a major
burden, so don't let that hold you back.

I look forward to seeing all your cool ideas!

1. http://code.google.com/opensource/gci/2010-11/index.html
2. http://code.google.com/opensource/gci/2010-11/faqs.html
3. http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Google_Code_In_2010_ideas

--
Thanks,
Donnie

Donnie Berkholz
Sr. Developer, Gentoo Linux
Blog: http://dberkholz.wordpress.com

Old 10-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Donnie Berkholz

On 23:19 Mon 25 Oct , Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> Based on our participation in the Summer of Code, Google invited us to
> apply for their revived program for 13-18 year olds called Google
> Code-In [1-2]. The basic idea is that students will complete a series of
> small tasks rather than one huge project, and the tasks don't even have
> to be related (or even involve programming!).
>
> One really neat feature about GCI is that projects can be anything --
> documentation, translation, coding, research, whatever. If you've been
> feeling that your ideas are left out by GSoC, this is your chance.
>
> After talking with a few devs, there seemed to be a lot of interest in
> us getting involved. The application deadline is very soon -- this
> Friday! We need a good ideas list by then if we're going to apply. I
> created a draft ideas page [3]; please fill it in by the end of the day
> on this Thursday.
>
> We're looking for tasks that would take a student 13-18 years old
> roughly 1-3 days to complete. Ideas might include writing man pages,
> translating a few webpages, perhaps some relatively straightforward
> bugfixes, etc. More general ideas are on our ideas page and the GCI
> homepage. Because tasks are so short, mentoring will not be a major
> burden, so don't let that hold you back.

We now have 2 ideas. It's not even worth applying unless we can get
closer to 10. If nobody puts up more ideas in the next ~6 hours, we
won't be participating this year.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:46 PM
"Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto"

Old 10-29-2010, 06:32 PM
Serkan Kaba

Old 11-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Donnie Berkholz

On 09:11 Fri 29 Oct , Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> We now have 2 ideas. It's not even worth applying unless we can get
> closer to 10. If nobody puts up more ideas in the next ~6 hours, we
> won't be participating this year.

Thanks to your help, we got enough ideas just in time to apply. We
should hear Friday whether we're in.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Donnie Berkholz

On 10:02 Tue 02 Nov , Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> Thanks to your help, we got enough ideas just in time to apply. We
> should hear Friday whether we're in.

Unfortunately we weren't accepted. This was a highly selective set
compared to GSoC -- only 20 organizations instead of 150. Perhaps next
time around...