Old 10-25-2010, 01:37 PM
Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis

Default Support for Python 3

I would like to suggest that setting Python 3.1 as main active version of Python be officially
supported and recommended for Gentoo developers since 2010-12-01. Majority of packages supporting
only Python 2.* have been prepared to work correctly in situation when Python 3.* is set as main
active version of Python. I would like to encourage other developers to work on fixing remaining
packages.

--
Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis

Old 10-25-2010, 01:50 PM
Peter Volkov

В Пнд, 25/10/2010 в 15:37 +0200, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis
пишет:
> I would like to suggest that setting Python 3.1 as main active version of Python be officially
> supported and recommended for Gentoo developers since 2010-12-01. Majority of packages supporting
> only Python 2.* have been prepared to work correctly in situation when Python 3.* is set as main
> active version of Python.

How many packages left?

--
Peter.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:01 PM

2010-10-25 15:50:23 Peter Volkov napisał(a):
> В Пнд, 25/10/2010 в 15:37 +0200, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis пишет:
> > I would like to suggest that setting Python 3.1 as main active version of Python be officially
> > supported and recommended for Gentoo developers since 2010-12-01. Majority of packages supporting
> > only Python 2.* have been prepared to work correctly in situation when Python 3.* is set as main
> > active version of Python.
>
> How many packages left?

Currently I don't know. I would have to perform some grep checks to try to calculate it.

I think that each developer could start using Python 3.1 as main active version of Python now,
at least until he/she finds not yet prepared packages. There's a chance that such packages aren't
installed on his/her system.

--
Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis

Old 10-25-2010, 02:14 PM
Nirbheek Chauhan

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis
<Arfrever@gentoo.org> wrote:
> I would like to suggest that setting Python 3.1 as main active version of Python be officially
> supported and recommended for Gentoo developers since 2010-12-01. Majority of packages supporting
> only Python 2.* have been prepared to work correctly in situation when Python 3.* is set as main
> active version of Python. I would like to encourage other developers to work on fixing remaining
> packages.

I do not think this is a useful expenditure of developer time. There's
absolutely no hurry to start using Python 3 since 99.9% of upstreams
do not have officially supported ports yet. We can revisit this when
the upstreams of half the packages in-tree start using Python 3 by
default (this will probably take more than a year).

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team