Old 10-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Markos Chandras

Default QA last rites: media-video/elltube

# Markos Chandras <hwoarang@gentoo.org> (23 Oct 2010)
# on behalf of QA team
#
# Does not work with recent versions of ffmpeg.
# Does not work with youtube anymore due to API changes.
# Dead upstream.
# Removal in 15 days.
# Alternatives:
# media-video/minitube
# media-video/xvideoservicethief
media-video/elltube

--
Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
Gentoo Linux Developer

Old 10-23-2010, 05:39 PM
Petteri Ršty

On 10/23/2010 04:16 PM, Markos Chandras wrote:
> # Markos Chandras <hwoarang@gentoo.org> (23 Oct 2010)
> # on behalf of QA team
> #
> # Does not work with recent versions of ffmpeg.
> # Does not work with youtube anymore due to API changes.
> # Dead upstream.
> # Removal in 15 days.
> # Alternatives:
> # media-video/minitube
> # media-video/xvideoservicethief
> media-video/elltube

I think whenever faster than the standard 30 days is used then there
should be a reason in the mask entry.

Regards,
Petteri

Old 10-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Markos Chandras

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 08:39:22PM +0300, Petteri Ršty wrote:
> On 10/23/2010 04:16 PM, Markos Chandras wrote:
> > # Markos Chandras <hwoarang@gentoo.org> (23 Oct 2010)
> > # on behalf of QA team
> > #
> > # Does not work with recent versions of ffmpeg.
> > # Does not work with youtube anymore due to API changes.
> > # Dead upstream.
> > # Removal in 15 days.
> > # Alternatives:
> > # media-video/minitube
> > # media-video/xvideoservicethief
> > media-video/elltube
> >

> I think whenever faster than the standard 30 days is used then there
> should be a reason in the mask entry.
>
> Regards,
> Petteri

You need more reasons that those I already mentioned? The package is
broken, can't be fixed in any way, since there is no upstream anymore and plus there
are more featureful programs to view youtube videos than this one. Imho, the 30
days does not make sense here.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:58 PM
Petteri Ršty

On 10/23/2010 08:51 PM, Markos Chandras wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 08:39:22PM +0300, Petteri Ršty wrote:
>> On 10/23/2010 04:16 PM, Markos Chandras wrote:
>>> # Markos Chandras <hwoarang@gentoo.org> (23 Oct 2010)
>>> # on behalf of QA team
>>> #
>>> # Does not work with recent versions of ffmpeg.
>>> # Does not work with youtube anymore due to API changes.
>>> # Dead upstream.
>>> # Removal in 15 days.
>>> # Alternatives:
>>> # media-video/minitube
>>> # media-video/xvideoservicethief
>>> media-video/elltube
>>>

>> I think whenever faster than the standard 30 days is used then there
>> should be a reason in the mask entry.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Petteri
>>
> You need more reasons that those I already mentioned? The package is
> broken, can't be fixed in any way, since there is no upstream anymore and plus there
> are more featureful programs to view youtube videos than this one. Imho, the 30
> days does not make sense here.

My point was to have something along the lines of "Removal in 15 days
because of the above."

Regards,
Petteri

Old 10-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Diego Elio Pettenò

Il giorno sab, 23/10/2010 alle 20.58 +0300, Petteri Räty ha scritto:
> My point was to have something along the lines of "Removal in 15 days
> because of the above."

It would just be a formula to use, and a silly one. _Obviously_ the
removal is because of the above, and if the time is shorter, the reason
_is_ the one above.

What is it, next time you're going to ask us to make ChangeLog stating
"Version bump, because upstream released a new version"?

--
Diego Elio Petten√≤ ‚ÄĒ ‚ÄúFlameeyes‚ÄĚ
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/

If you found a .asc file in this mail and know not what it is,
it's a GnuPG digital signature: http://www.gnupg.org/

Old 10-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Petteri Ršty

On 10/23/2010 08:59 PM, Diego Elio PettenÚ wrote:
> Il giorno sab, 23/10/2010 alle 20.58 +0300, Petteri Ršty ha scritto:
>> My point was to have something along the lines of "Removal in 15 days
>> because of the above."
>
> It would just be a formula to use, and a silly one. _Obviously_ the
> removal is because of the above, and if the time is shorter, the reason
> _is_ the one above.

I didn't consider it obvious. I could be alone of course but doesn't
hurt to be explicit.

Regards,
Petteri

Old 10-23-2010, 06:26 PM
Torsten Veller

* Markos Chandras <hwoarang@gentoo.org>:
> On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 08:39:22PM +0300, Petteri Ršty wrote:
> > On 10/23/2010 04:16 PM, Markos Chandras wrote:
> > > # Markos Chandras <hwoarang@gentoo.org> (23 Oct 2010)
> > > # on behalf of QA team
> > > #
> > > # Does not work with recent versions of ffmpeg.
> > > # Does not work with youtube anymore due to API changes.
> > > # Dead upstream.
> > > # Removal in 15 days.
> > > # Alternatives:
> > > # media-video/minitube
> > > # media-video/xvideoservicethief
> > > media-video/elltube
> > >

> > I think whenever faster than the standard 30 days is used then there
> > should be a reason in the mask entry.
> >
> You need more reasons that those I already mentioned? The package is
> broken, can't be fixed in any way, since there is no upstream anymore and plus there
> are more featureful programs to view youtube videos than this one. Imho, the 30
> days does not make sense here.

If I am not completely out of date, portage doesn't warn you if you have
a package installed that is no longer available, meaning the ebuild was
removed from your repositories.

If you don't sync while the package is masked, you might not realise
that you have removed software installed.

That might be one reason to keep the package.mask entry longer than 15
days. Or I and the premise are completely wrong, then why don't you
remove the package in one week?

--
Regards

Old 10-23-2010, 09:03 PM
Markos Chandras

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 08:26:47PM +0200, Torsten Veller wrote:
> * Markos Chandras <hwoarang@gentoo.org>:
> > > >

> > > I think whenever faster than the standard 30 days is used then there
> > > should be a reason in the mask entry.
> > >
> > You need more reasons that those I already mentioned? The package is
> > broken, can't be fixed in any way, since there is no upstream anymore and plus there
> > are more featureful programs to view youtube videos than this one. Imho, the 30
> > days does not make sense here.
>
> If I am not completely out of date, portage doesn't warn you if you have
> a package installed that is no longer available, meaning the ebuild was
> removed from your repositories.
>
> If you don't sync while the package is masked, you might not realise
> that you have removed software installed.
>
> That might be one reason to keep the package.mask entry longer than 15
> days. Or I and the premise are completely wrong, then why don't you
> remove the package in one week?
>
> --
> Regards

To my knowledge this package is broken for more than 6 months, since the
first change in Youtube API occurred, and the last commit in svn is in 2008. No one
should have this package installed, and if he does, he simply
don't/can't use it. I want to remove it in 15 days, so the *desktop
users* ( who sync rather often, unless you watch youtube videos on your
server) are aware of the situation and find sometime to migrate to the
alternatives. I really don't understand what is the big deal about this.
I want to remove a heavily broken program. Does it really matter when I
am gonna remove it since nobody can use it anyway? Anyway, I will extend
the deadline to 30 days if that makes you happy. End of story now please