Old 10-22-2010, 07:09 AM
Diego E. Petten˛

Default QA last rites for sys-fs/dd-rhelp

# Diego E. Petten˛ <flameeyes@gentoo.org> (22 Oct 2010)
# on behalf of QA team
#
# Outdated even by upstream standards (last version is 0.1.2,
# bug #223299 open May 2008); uses obsolete head/tail syntax
# (bug #159606); has maintainer-mode-triggered rebuild (bug
# #318487) without depending on autotools (and thus fail if
# automake 1.8 is not installed).
#
# Removal on 2010-12-21
sys-fs/dd-rhelp

Old 10-22-2010, 07:23 AM
Diego E. Petten├▓

# Diego E. Petten├▓ <flameeyes@gentoo.org> (22 Oct 2010)
# on behalf of QA team
#
# Obsolete even by upstream standard, since version 0.1.2
# is out since 2007 (and has a version bump request in bug
# #223299 since May 2008); uses ÔÇťobsoleteÔÇŁ tail/head
# syntax (bug #159606, the warning has since been removed
# from coreutils); more importantly autotools are rebuilt by
# a maintainer-mode-triggered check, but no dependency over
# autotools, with or without the correct version is present
# (bug #318487; automake 1.8 is nowadays not that common to
# find installed).
#
# Removal on 2010-12-21
sys-fs/dd-rhelp

Old 10-22-2010, 02:50 PM
Wernfried Haas

Hi,

while this is a tool i never like to use, it's really hand in case you
have it around.

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 09:23:30AM +0200, Diego E. Petten˛ wrote:
> # Obsolete even by upstream standard, since version 0.1.2
> # is out since 2007 (and has a version bump request in bug
> # #223299 since May 2008);

Agreed.

> uses ???obsolete??? tail/head
> # syntax (bug #159606, the warning has since been removed
> # from coreutils);

in dd_rhelp-0.1.2: # grep head dd_rhelp
i="$(echo "$parsechunk" | "${head}" -n 1 )"
firstline="$(echo "$parsing" | "${head}" -n 1)"
firstline="$(echo "$parsing" | "${head}" -n 1)"
lnb_save=$(echo $lnb_save | "${head}" -n 1 | cut -f 1 -d " ")

That seems to be the new syntax already.

> more importantly autotools are rebuilt by
> # a maintainer-mode-triggered check, but no dependency over
> # autotools, with or without the correct version is present
> # (bug #318487; automake 1.8 is nowadays not that common to
> # find installed).

Also from 0.1.2:
Installation (for dd_rhelp > 0.1.0)
===================================

Installation process have been greatly simplified with version
0.1.0 as
it as been completely removed ! Removing the previous hassle of the
./configure && make && make install normally reserved for
languages that requires compilation.

So for version superior to 0.1.0, installation is only a mean of a
direct
use of dd_rhelp, or a simple "cp dd_rhelp /your/bin/path".

So basically 0.1.2 should fix all those problems.

I'd do it myself if i were ebuild maintainer (which i am not), but
maybe someone could pick this up and just make a new ebuild for 0.1.2?
Seems to be a quite simple job and whoever is willing to save this
really useful tool will get a beer from me next Linuxtag :-)

cheers,
Wernfried

--
Wernfried Haas (amne) - amne (at) gentoo.org
Gentoo Forums - http://forums.gentoo.org

Old 10-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Michał Górny

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 16:50:21 +0200
Wernfried Haas <amne@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I'd do it myself if i were ebuild maintainer (which i am not), but
> maybe someone could pick this up and just make a new ebuild for 0.1.2?
> Seems to be a quite simple job and whoever is willing to save this
> really useful tool will get a beer from me next Linuxtag :-)

I don't think there's a reason to do so. We have ddrescue, and users
should be encouraged to migrate to that.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny

Old 10-22-2010, 04:01 PM
Wernfried Haas

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 05:36:08PM +0200, Micha?? Gˇrny wrote:
> I don't think there's a reason to do so. We have ddrescue, and users
> should be encouraged to migrate to that.

Ah, found it (sys-fs/ddrescue, not sys-fs/dd-rescue) and it actually
does all the stuff that dd-rhelp does.
I guess in that case it's a good idea to let dd-rhelp go (probably
with a note to people like me who aren't aware that ddrescue does the
same job these days).
Thank you for the information.

Cheers,
Wernfried

Old 10-22-2010, 05:33 PM
Christian Faulhammer

Hi,

Wernfried Haas <amne@gentoo.org>:

> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 05:36:08PM +0200, Micha?? Gˇrny wrote:
> > I don't think there's a reason to do so. We have ddrescue, and users
> > should be encouraged to migrate to that.
>
> Ah, found it (sys-fs/ddrescue, not sys-fs/dd-rescue) and it actually
> does all the stuff that dd-rhelp does.
> I guess in that case it's a good idea to let dd-rhelp go (probably
> with a note to people like me who aren't aware that ddrescue does the
> same job these days).

Added to the mask entry.

V-Li

<URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>