Old 10-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Thomas Kahle

Default New license: nauty

Hi,

I want to add the following license to the tree. It is the license of
sci-mathematics/nauty, currently living in the science overlay. Debian
ships it as part of the non-free set:
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/math/nauty

Any objections, comments, questions ?

-------------------------
Copyright (1984-2010) Brendan McKay. All rights reserved. Permission is
hereby given for use and/or distribution with the exception of sale for
profit or application with nontrivial military significance. You must
not remove this copyright notice, and you must document any changes that
you make to this program. This software is subject to this copyright
only, irrespective of any copyright attached to any package of which
this is a part.

Absolutely no guarantees or warranties are made concerning the
suitability, correctness, or any other aspect of this program. Any use
is at your own risk.
-------------------------

Cheers,
Thomas

--
Thomas Kahle

Old 10-21-2010, 11:55 PM
"Robin H. Johnson"

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 09:50:08PM +0200, Thomas Kahle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to add the following license to the tree. It is the license of
> sci-mathematics/nauty, currently living in the science overlay. Debian
> ships it as part of the non-free set:
> http://packages.debian.org/unstable/math/nauty
It's DFSG non-free because it contains a restriction on use (that
military item) and sale.

We're good to have it in MISC-FREE ourselves, as redistribution and
everything else is free.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail : robbat2@gentoo.org

Old 10-22-2010, 12:33 AM
Hanno Böck

Am Friday 22 October 2010 schrieb Robin H. Johnson:
> It's DFSG non-free because it contains a restriction on use (that
> military item) and sale.
>
> We're good to have it in MISC-FREE ourselves, as redistribution and
> everything else is free.

Erh, no. MISC-FREE is for free and open source software and is more or less
the same as Debians free software guideline. That's the whole purpose of it.

It can go to BINARY-REDISTRIBUTABLE. If you wanna make a list of licenses that
are "more or less free with restrictions" (however you define that), I'm fine
with that, but I'd like to keep everything that's indirectly in the @FREE-set
to be just that.

--
Hanno Böck Blog: http://www.hboeck.de/
GPG: 3DBD3B20 Jabber/Mail: hanno@hboeck.de

Old 10-22-2010, 07:47 PM
Thomas Kahle

Hi,

On 02:33 Fri 22 Oct , Hanno Böck wrote:
> > We're good to have it in MISC-FREE ourselves, as redistribution and
> > everything else is free.
>
> Erh, no. MISC-FREE is for free and open source software and is more or less
> the same as Debians free software guideline. That's the whole purpose
> of it.

I agree here, it is not MISC-FREE.

> It can go to BINARY-REDISTRIBUTABLE. If you wanna make a list of licenses that
> are "more or less free with restrictions" (however you define that), I'm fine
> with that, but I'd like to keep everything that's indirectly in the @FREE-set
> to be just that.

Regarding BINARY-REDISTRIBUTABLE, the file says:

# As proposed: http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_6c950b46c50fe72ebc5e650bbf70f77c.xml
# Excerpt of the rules for this license group:
# - MUST permit redistribution in binary form.
# - MUST NOT require explicit approval (No items from @EULA)
# - MUST NOT restrict the cost of redistribution.
# - MAY require explicit inclusion of the license with
# the distribution [1]
# - IFF there is an explicit inclusion requirement, USE=bindist
# MUST cause a copy of the license to be installed in a file
# location compliant with the license,

The nauty license *does* restrict the cost of redistribution. So what
is it? An EULA?

Cheers,
Thomas

--
Thomas Kahle

Old 10-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Hanno Böck

Am Friday 22 October 2010 schrieb Thomas Kahle:
> The nauty license *does* restrict the cost of redistribution. So what
> is it? An EULA?

Then it's probably just "nothing" according to our icense-groups. We don't
have any need to have every license in any license-group.

EULA is for licenses where we need explicit agreement from the user. Nothing
in the naugty-license indicates that, so it doesn't fit in any of our license
groups.