Old 10-19-2010, 07:26 PM
"Andreas K. Huettel"

Default libertas-firmware license (wlan chipset for OLPC, GuruPlug)

Hi all,

since this is my first "license addition", I rather err on the side of
caution. See the pasted text below, are there any objections against adding it
and the corresponding package to the tree?

Best, Andreas

PS. The files have been grabbed from the kernel-firmware git repository on
kernel.org.

FIRMWARE LICENSE TERMS

Copyright (c) Marvell International Ltd.

All rights reserved.

Redistribution. Redistribution and use in binary form, without modification,
are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

* Redistributions must reproduce the above copyright notice and the following
disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
distribution.

* Neither the name of Marvell International Ltd. nor the names of its
suppliers may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this
software without specific prior written permission.

* No reverse engineering, decompilation, or disassembly of this software is
permitted.

Limited patent license. Marvell International Ltd. grants a world-wide,
royalty-free, non-exclusive license under patents it now or hereafter owns or
controls to make, have made, use, import, offer to sell and sell ("Utilize")
this software, but solely to the extent that any such patent is necessary to
Utilize the software alone, or in combination with an operating system
licensed under an approved Open Source license as listed by the Open Source
Initiative at http://opensource.org/licenses. The patent license shall not
apply to any other combinations which include this software. No hardware per
se is licensed hereunder.

DISCLAIMER. THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND
CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR
CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL,
EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR
BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER
IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE)
ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE
POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

--

Andreas K. Huettel
Gentoo Linux developer

Old 10-19-2010, 07:37 PM
"Robin H. Johnson"

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 09:26:13PM +0200, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
> since this is my first "license addition", I rather err on the side of
> caution. See the pasted text below, are there any objections against adding it
> and the corresponding package to the tree?
+1 from me.
Add it to the BINARY-REDISTRIBUTABLE license group after adding to tree.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail : robbat2@gentoo.org

Old 10-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Ulrich Mueller

> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 09:26:13PM +0200, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
>> since this is my first "license addition", I rather err on the side
>> of caution. See the pasted text below, are there any objections
>> against adding it and the corresponding package to the tree?
> +1 from me.
> Add it to the BINARY-REDISTRIBUTABLE license group after adding to tree.

And please break the long lines at some reasonable length like 70
characters (as it was the case for the original message, but not for
the license file that was committed).

Ulrich