Old 10-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Lars Wendler

Default New PUEL license

Hi folks,

a couple of weeks ago I was told that the PUEL license we have in our license
pool is outdated. We currently have version 6 from July 28, 2008 but latest
virtualbox releases come with version 8 from April 19, 2010.
A quick glance at the diff between both licenses revealed nothing but
replacement of SUN with Oracle and some small wording changes but as english
is not my native language I find it quite hard to understand licenses written
in english and distinguish between wording changes with big or rather small
impact on the license. Last but not least IANAL of course.
So I'd appreciate if someone could have a deeper look at the differences and
tell me if it's okay to just drop the old license and add the new one of if we
need to keep both, old and new one in our license pool.

Regards
--
Lars Wendler (Polynomial-C)
Gentoo package maintainer and bug-wrangler

Old 10-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Petteri Räty

On 10/16/2010 05:26 PM, Lars Wendler wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> a couple of weeks ago I was told that the PUEL license we have in our license
> pool is outdated. We currently have version 6 from July 28, 2008 but latest
> virtualbox releases come with version 8 from April 19, 2010.
> A quick glance at the diff between both licenses revealed nothing but
> replacement of SUN with Oracle and some small wording changes but as english
> is not my native language I find it quite hard to understand licenses written
> in english and distinguish between wording changes with big or rather small
> impact on the license. Last but not least IANAL of course.
> So I'd appreciate if someone could have a deeper look at the differences and
> tell me if it's okay to just drop the old license and add the new one of if we
> need to keep both, old and new one in our license pool.

We can drop the old one if we have no versions in tree that would use
that particular text.

Regards,
Petteri