Old 10-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Torsten Veller

Default perl-5.12 news item

Remind users to run perl-cleaner after installing a new perl version.

This will be committed before the arch teams stabilize dev-lang/perl-5.12.2-r1.

,---- 2010-10-16-perl-5.12-upgrade-procedure.en.txt ----
Title: Perl 5.12 upgrade procedure
Author: perl-team <perl@gentoo.org>
Revision: 1
News-Item-Format: 1.0
Display-If-Installed: <dev-lang/perl-5.12

Run `perl-cleaner --all` after upgrading to a new Perl version!

"Perl 5.12 is not binary compatible with prior releases of Perl. If
you have built extensions (i.e. modules that include C code) using an
earlier version of Perl, you will need to rebuild and reinstall those
extensions." [1]

In fact, in Gentoo you currently have to rebuild all Perl modules and
all binaries linking libperl to get into a consistent state again.

perl-cleaner generates a list of broken packages and passes it to your
package manager to reinstall them. After reinstalling the packages,
perl-cleaner outputs a list of files the script could not deal with
(like modules installed not via the package manager).

See `man perl-cleaner` for its options.

[1] http://search.cpan.org/dist/perl-5.12.2/INSTALL#Changes_and_Incompatibilities
`----

Old 10-13-2010, 02:17 PM
Christian Faulhammer

Hi,

Torsten Veller <tove@gentoo.org>:
> This will be committed before the arch teams stabilize
> dev-lang/perl-5.12.2-r1.

Maybe you should make an agreement with arches about a fixed date.
They signal their ok after testing thoroughly in, say, two days and you
immediately commit the news.

> Display-If-Installed: <dev-lang/perl-5.12
>
> Run `perl-cleaner --all` after upgrading to a new Perl version!

In my opinion you should move this sentence one or two paragraphs down,
to emphasize more.

V-Li

<URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>

Old 10-13-2010, 02:29 PM
Ulrich Mueller

> Author: perl-team <perl@gentoo.org>

Maybe it's better to list the real author(s) here?
Multiple Author: lines are allowed.

Ulrich