Old 10-11-2010, 02:40 PM
"Paweł Hajdan, Jr."

Default libstdc++ compatibility and -bin packages

Today I got http://bugs.gentoo.org/340517 filed against chromium-bin.
The machine that compiled the package had only gcc-4.4.3 installed.

It'd probably be difficult to solve the problem using dependencies (the
bug reporter had gcc-4.4.3 installed, but active version was 4.3.4).

I was thinking about using a lower version of gcc on the builder, like
4.1.2 or 4.3.4.

However, I'm not sure how likely this is to cause C++ ABI mismatch
issues. I remember some problems with half of KDE compiler with one GCC
version and half with a more recent version.

What do you think?

Old 10-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Michael Haubenwallner

On 10/11/2010 04:40 PM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
> Today I got http://bugs.gentoo.org/340517 filed against chromium-bin.
> The machine that compiled the package had only gcc-4.4.3 installed.
>
> It'd probably be difficult to solve the problem using dependencies (the
> bug reporter had gcc-4.4.3 installed, but active version was 4.3.4).
>
> I was thinking about using a lower version of gcc on the builder, like
> 4.1.2 or 4.3.4.
>
> However, I'm not sure how likely this is to cause C++ ABI mismatch
> issues. I remember some problems with half of KDE compiler with one GCC
> version and half with a more recent version.
>
> What do you think?

Iff the bug reporter would have selected gcc-4.4.3 being the active version
using 'gcc-config', his chrome should have been working IMO.

But I don't think this is an acceptable fix:

Instead, gcc-config should sort available gcc's libdirs into /etc/ld.so.conf
by /descending gcc-version independent of which one is currently selected/, as
gcc libraries are backwards compatible AFAICS when they have the same SONAME.

For linking, the selected compiler's libs are used anyway.

/haubi/
--
Michael Haubenwallner
Gentoo on a different level

Old 10-11-2010, 05:17 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Monday, October 11, 2010 10:40:43 Paweł Hajdan, Jr. wrote:
> Today I got http://bugs.gentoo.org/340517 filed against chromium-bin.
> The machine that compiled the package had only gcc-4.4.3 installed.
>
> It'd probably be difficult to solve the problem using dependencies (the
> bug reporter had gcc-4.4.3 installed, but active version was 4.3.4).

dupe of Bug 297685
-mike

Old 10-12-2010, 01:32 AM
"Jory A. Pratt"

Old 10-12-2010, 08:25 AM
"Paweł Hajdan, Jr."

On 10/12/10 3:32 AM, Jory A. Pratt wrote:
> This is where the -bin package should be shipping all its libs that it
> will require, just as firefox-bin does. If you are rolling the -bin
> package you should include them yourself, and set the launch script to
> read its install dir before system dir, this is just how we resolve such
> issues with firefox-bin.

chromium-bin is compiled on a Gentoo machine. Would you have any tips
how do I know which libraries I should include in the package, and
what's the best way to handle that?

Paweł