Old 10-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Sebastian Pipping

Default app-portage/conf-update: new maintainer needed

Hey there,

like etc-update and dispatch-conf _conf-update_ seems to be one of the
more central tools in Gentoo.

I have the impression that it is unmaintained because...
- metadata.xml says maintainer-needed, and
- upstream seems to be a single _retired_ Gentoo dev, only.

There is lots of smaller task you could start with:
- Clean up the (rather messy) ebuild
- Integrate patches from the ebuild into a new release
- Fix ugly compile warnings

If you are fluid in C but not Ebuilds we may find a proxy or mentor for
you. Please contact us, i.e. please reply to the thread on gentoo-dev.

Thanks!

Sebastian

Old 10-05-2010, 07:54 PM
José María Alonso

On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 09:45:32PM +0200, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> Hey there,
>

> like etc-update and dispatch-conf _conf-update_ seems to be one of the
> more central tools in Gentoo.
>
> I have the impression that it is unmaintained because...
> - metadata.xml says maintainer-needed, and
> - upstream seems to be a single _retired_ Gentoo dev, only.
>
> There is lots of smaller task you could start with:
> - Clean up the (rather messy) ebuild
> - Integrate patches from the ebuild into a new release
> - Fix ugly compile warnings
>
> If you are fluid in C but not Ebuilds we may find a proxy or mentor for
> you. Please contact us, i.e. please reply to the thread on gentoo-dev.
>
> Thanks!
>

> Sebastian

Hi Sebastian,

I would very glad to help in this issue.

I don't have ebuild experience but currently I am reading the developer
handbook and I am fluent in C.

I've taken a look at conf-update code and I think I can handle it.

Regards.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:46 PM
José María Alonso

On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 09:54:34PM +0200, José María Alonso wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 09:45:32PM +0200, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> > Hey there,
> >

> > like etc-update and dispatch-conf _conf-update_ seems to be one of the
> > more central tools in Gentoo.

> > There is lots of smaller task you could start with:
> > - Clean up the (rather messy) ebuild
> > - Integrate patches from the ebuild into a new release
> > - Fix ugly compile warnings
> >
> > If you are fluid in C but not Ebuilds we may find a proxy or mentor for
> > you. Please contact us, i.e. please reply to the thread on gentoo-dev.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> > Sebastian
> >

> Hi Sebastian,
>
> I would very glad to help in this issue.
>
> I don't have ebuild experience but currently I am reading the developer
> handbook and I am fluent in C.
>
> I've taken a look at conf-update code and I think I can handle it.
>
> Regards.

Hi again,

I've modified conf-update source tarball to:

1. Fix all warnings reported.
2. Include both patches:
conf-update-1.0-asneeded.patch
conf-update-1.0-regex-classes.patch

You can find the modified tarball at:

http://dev.gentoo.org/~nimiux/conf-update-1.0.tar.bz2

Cheers!

Old 10-11-2010, 03:41 PM
Sebastian Pipping

On 10/06/10 15:46, José María Alonso wrote:
> I've modified conf-update source tarball to:
>
> 1. Fix all warnings reported.
> 2. Include both patches:
> conf-update-1.0-asneeded.patch
> conf-update-1.0-regex-classes.patch
>
> You can find the modified tarball at:
>
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~nimiux/conf-update-1.0.tar.bz2

Nice!

I have turned your work into a Git repository [1].

If you are happy with status quo already, please
- tag HEAD as 1.0.1 or something
- upload a new tarball to a place suitable for distribution
- Bump the Ebuild in CVS

Best,

Sebastian

[1] http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/conf-update.git;a=summary

Old 10-17-2010, 05:01 PM
José María Alonso

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 05:41:39PM +0200, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> On 10/06/10 15:46, José María Alonso wrote:
> > I've modified conf-update source tarball to:
> >
> > 1. Fix all warnings reported.
> > 2. Include both patches:
> > conf-update-1.0-asneeded.patch
> > conf-update-1.0-regex-classes.patch
> >
> > You can find the modified tarball at:
> >
> > http://dev.gentoo.org/~nimiux/conf-update-1.0.tar.bz2
>
> Nice!
>
> I have turned your work into a Git repository [1].
>
> If you are happy with status quo already, please
> - tag HEAD as 1.0.1 or something
> - upload a new tarball to a place suitable for distribution
> - Bump the Ebuild in CVS
>
> Best,
>

> Sebastian
>

> [1] http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/conf-update.git;a=summary

Done,

Tagged HEAD in Git, hosted tarball at berlios.de and bumped the
Ebuild. You can find the new ebuild, manifest and modified metadata at
[1].

Thanks for your help and hope it works (at least it does in my box :-)

[1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~nimiux/conf-update-ebuild-1.0.1.tar.bz2