Old 09-26-2010, 02:59 PM
Matti Bickel

Default RFC: per package eclass GLEP

On 09/26/2010 03:22 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> Isn't the amount of work to get per-package eclasses basically the same
> as the amount of work to get per-(package and category) eclasses?

Actually, I don't know. Tell me. I've no clue how much PM implementation
effort this will be, yet.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Ciaran McCreesh

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:59:22 +0200
Matti Bickel <mabi@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 09/26/2010 03:22 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> > Isn't the amount of work to get per-package eclasses basically the
> > same as the amount of work to get per-(package and category)
> > eclasses?
>
> Actually, I don't know. Tell me. I've no clue how much PM
> implementation effort this will be, yet.

The difficult bits are:

* making sure you can do this without things going horribly wrong for
older package managers

* making sure metadata cache validation is right

* checking everything that uses ECLASSDIR

So from that, the complexity is in "making eclasses not be in a single
place", not in the number of places eclasses can be.

--
Ciaran McCreesh

Old 09-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Matti Bickel

On 09/20/2010 12:00 AM, Duncan wrote:
> Given that no set eapi is taken to be eapi=0, and this is proposed as part
> of a new eapi, eapi MUST be set before pkg-inherit, if pkg-inherit and
> thus per-pkg eclasses are to be used at all. The last sentence of the top
> paragraph (of the two) should therefore be rewritten to reflect that
> requirement and avoid any confusion.

You're right. I'll remove the "if it is set" part.