-   -   virtual/linux-sources DEPEND non-inclusion reminder (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-development/428214-virtual-linux-sources-depend-non-inclusion-reminder.html)

"Robin H. Johnson" 09-17-2010 09:34 AM

virtual/linux-sources DEPEND non-inclusion reminder

Just since it bit me on some infra boxes this evening, a quick reminder
that you should generally never DEPEND on virtual/linux-sources in your
ebuilds.

It's trivial to build a fully working system, and never have /usr/src
get populated.

1. Never RDEPEND on virtual/linux-sources, it will bring kernel sources
in during binpkg installs.
2. linux-mod.eclass does correctly bring in virtual/linux-sources as
needed, so if you are building kernel modules, inherit it rather than
including your own DEPEND for sources.
3. kernel_is: Version-specific virtual/linux-sources statements are generally
useless, as you have no idea what kernel version is at /usr/src/linux
or is pointed to by the various build variables. You should use the
kernel_is function of linux-info.eclass instead.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail : robbat2@gentoo.org

Mike Frysinger 09-17-2010 06:39 PM

On Friday, September 17, 2010 05:34:32 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> 1. Never RDEPEND on virtual/linux-sources, it will bring kernel sources
> in during binpkg installs.

repoman time ?
-mike

Zac Medico 09-18-2010 04:00 AM

On 09/17/2010 11:39 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Friday, September 17, 2010 05:34:32 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
>> 1. Never RDEPEND on virtual/linux-sources, it will bring kernel sources
>> in during binpkg installs.
>
> repoman time ?
> -mike

It's in git now: