FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-09-2010, 08:20 AM
Christian Faulhammer
 
Default CUPS 1.4 and FFMpeg 0.6

Hi,

a security stabilisation for Chromium [1] wants Cups 1.4 stable. My
test requests on Planet Gentoo and via identi.ca revealed no real
blockers, although people report that they needed to readd their
printers in order to work. Does anybody here know an obstacle to the
stabilisation? And should a news item issued for that?

The same goes for FFMpeg 0.6, although it is needed for a security
stabilisation of VLC [2]. There is one open bug which still needs to be
resolved, otherwise I had no reports of problems so far.

V-Li

[1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=335750
[2] https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=332361

--
Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project
<URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode

<URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>
 
Old 09-09-2010, 08:59 AM
"Andreas K. Huettel"
 
Default CUPS 1.4 and FFMpeg 0.6

As a datapoint I had some problems accessing a usb printer from cups 1.4 (it
just was not found, and a strange generic and unusable device appeared
instead). No bug though since I had to print in a hurry and downgraded to 1.3
again quickly...

Cheers, a

Am Donnerstag 09 September 2010, 10:20:00 schrieb Christian Faulhammer:
> Hi,
>
> a security stabilisation for Chromium [1] wants Cups 1.4 stable. My
> test requests on Planet Gentoo and via identi.ca revealed no real
> blockers, although people report that they needed to readd their
> printers in order to work. Does anybody here know an obstacle to the
> stabilisation? And should a news item issued for that?
>
> The same goes for FFMpeg 0.6, although it is needed for a security
> stabilisation of VLC [2]. There is one open bug which still needs to be
> resolved, otherwise I had no reports of problems so far.
>
> V-Li
>
> [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=335750
> [2] https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=332361


--

Dr. Andreas K. Huettel
Institute for Experimental and Applied Physics
University of Regensburg
D-93040 Regensburg
Germany

tel. +49 151 241 67748 (mobile)
e-mail mail@akhuettel.de
e-mail andreas.huettel@physik.uni-r.de
http://www.akhuettel.de/research/
 
Old 09-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Pacho Ramos
 
Default CUPS 1.4 and FFMpeg 0.6

El jue, 09-09-2010 a las 10:20 +0200, Christian Faulhammer escribiů:
> Hi,
>
> a security stabilisation for Chromium [1] wants Cups 1.4 stable. My
> test requests on Planet Gentoo and via identi.ca revealed no real
> blockers, although people report that they needed to readd their
> printers in order to work. Does anybody here know an obstacle to the
> stabilisation? And should a news item issued for that?

I think that having to readd printers to work is a problem that would
need a news item or, at least, and elog message :-)

>
> The same goes for FFMpeg 0.6, although it is needed for a security
> stabilisation of VLC [2]. There is one open bug which still needs to be
> resolved, otherwise I had no reports of problems so far.
>
> V-Li
>
> [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=335750
> [2] https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=332361
>
 
Old 09-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Timo Gurr
 
Default CUPS 1.4 and FFMpeg 0.6

The plan is to release an updated revision incorporating the QA fixes
from bug #332591 (huge thanks to Tom√°Ň° Chv√°tal (scarabeus) for doing
the actual work here!)
Apart from that there's no real showstopper blocking a stabilization
of CUPS 1.4. The printing guide could need an update though, I've
already started working on it but my time is limited.
Regarding stabilization we can't respect printer drivers which are not
in the official tree since the few ones which are in are already hard
to maintain with our low manpower, see foo2zjs for example (hplip is
in a great shape thanks to the massive work of Daniel Pielmeier
(billie) and gutenprint should be fine, too).

As a general rule for upgrading to cups 1.4 when something regarding
local usb printers doesn't work:

1. disable kernel usblp: CONFIG_USB_PRINTER=n
2. delete /etc/cups
3. (re-)install cups 1.4 with USE="usb"
4. configure printer(s) from scratch via the cups webinterface
5. if your printer is a multifunction device, be sure you got the udev rules
setting the device permissions in shape so cups can access the device

If for whatever reason (broken/old printer drivers) that doesn't work
out there's still the way to install CUPS 1.4 with USE="-usb" to get
the old CUPS 1.3 behaviour back.

The printing team is suffering low manpower. We also have a bunch of
open bugs which are probably invalid and caused by not following the
"upgrade path", broken drivers, or plain misconfiguration, but you
can't close them without investigation to not upset our users. Not
responding is quite as bad, but as I said above, this is due to lack
of time.

Regards
Timo Gurr (tgurr)
 
Old 09-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Pacho Ramos
 
Default CUPS 1.4 and FFMpeg 0.6

El jue, 09-09-2010 a las 15:25 +0200, Timo Gurr escribió:
> The plan is to release an updated revision incorporating the QA fixes
> from bug #332591 (huge thanks to Tom√°Ň° Chv√°tal (scarabeus) for doing
> the actual work here!)

Great! Thanks a lot to all people involved :-D

> Apart from that there's no real showstopper blocking a stabilization
> of CUPS 1.4. The printing guide could need an update though, I've
> already started working on it but my time is limited.
> Regarding stabilization we can't respect printer drivers which are not
> in the official tree since the few ones which are in are already hard
> to maintain with our low manpower, see foo2zjs for example (hplip is
> in a great shape thanks to the massive work of Daniel Pielmeier
> (billie) and gutenprint should be fine, too).
>
> As a general rule for upgrading to cups 1.4 when something regarding
> local usb printers doesn't work:
>
> 1. disable kernel usblp: CONFIG_USB_PRINTER=n

Wouldn't be possible to add a kernel config check to the ebuild?

> 2. delete /etc/cups
> 3. (re-)install cups 1.4 with USE="usb"
> 4. configure printer(s) from scratch via the cups webinterface
> 5. if your printer is a multifunction device, be sure you got the udev rules
> setting the device permissions in shape so cups can access the device
>
> If for whatever reason (broken/old printer drivers) that doesn't work
> out there's still the way to install CUPS 1.4 with USE="-usb" to get
> the old CUPS 1.3 behaviour back.
>
> The printing team is suffering low manpower. We also have a bunch of
> open bugs which are probably invalid and caused by not following the
> "upgrade path", broken drivers, or plain misconfiguration, but you
> can't close them without investigation to not upset our users. Not
> responding is quite as bad, but as I said above, this is due to lack
> of time.
>
> Regards
> Timo Gurr (tgurr)
>
>

Best regards
 
Old 09-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Christian Faulhammer
 
Default CUPS 1.4 and FFMpeg 0.6

Hi,

Thanks for the clarifications.

Timo Gurr <tgurr@gentoo.org>:
> As a general rule for upgrading to cups 1.4 when something regarding
> local usb printers doesn't work:

I will try to create a news item for the upgrade tomorrow, if noone
does it before me.

V-Li

--
Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project
<URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode

<URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>
 
Old 09-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Thilo Bangert
 
Default CUPS 1.4 and FFMpeg 0.6

Christian Faulhammer <fauli@gentoo.org> said:
> Hi,
>
> a security stabilisation for Chromium [1] wants Cups 1.4 stable. My
> test requests on Planet Gentoo and via identi.ca revealed no real
> blockers, although people report that they needed to readd their
> printers in order to work. Does anybody here know an obstacle to the
> stabilisation? And should a news item issued for that?


i've been running 1.4.x for a couple of months - no problems on the
desktop. on the server though, 1.4.x regresses with regard to DNS-
SD/bonjour when using avahi as a backend - which is a bit of a problem,
since apple disables listening to cups broadcasts. so anybody having osx
clients, will not have zero configuration of printers on those clients.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups/+bug/465916

in my opinion this should *not* block stablization, though.

kind regards
Thilo

>
> The same goes for FFMpeg 0.6, although it is needed for a security
> stabilisation of VLC [2]. There is one open bug which still needs to
> be resolved, otherwise I had no reports of problems so far.
>
> V-Li
>
> [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=335750
> [2] https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=332361
 
Old 09-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Christian Faulhammer
 
Default CUPS 1.4 and FFMpeg 0.6

Hi,

I tried to create an appropriate news item for the CUPS 1.4
stabilisation. pr@g.o is cced. Release deadline is Monday 13 Sep
2010, comments please.

Timo Gurr <tgurr@gentoo.org>:
> If for whatever reason (broken/old printer drivers) that doesn't work
> out there's still the way to install CUPS 1.4 with USE="-usb" to get
> the old CUPS 1.3 behaviour back.

Title: Upgrade to CUPS 1.4
Author: Christian Faulhammer <fauli@gentoo.org>
Author: Timo Gurr <tgurr@gentoo.org>
Author: Gentoo Printing Team <printing@gentoo.org>
Content-Type: text/plain
Posted: 2010-09-13
Revision: 1
News-Item-Format: 1.0
Display-If-Installed: <net-print/cups-1.4

CUPS 1.4 is a major update in printing support and thus may cause some
problems when coming from version 1.3. Most users should see a smooth
update, although only net-print/gutenprint and net-print/hplip are
considered as supported drivers. If you happen to rely on other
drivers for your printer, you may have to research if problems occur.
Local USB printers are known to occasionally have issues, which can be
resolved in most cases by the following steps:

1. Disable usblp in your kernel configuration by setting
CONFIG_USB_PRINTER=n. Don't forget to rebuild the kernel and reboot
with that new image.
2. Delete /etc/cups.
3. (Re-)install CUPS 1.4 with USE="usb".
4. Configure printer(s) from scratch via the CUPS web interface.
5. If your printer is a multifunction device, be sure you got the udev
rules setting the device permissions in shape so CUPS can access the
device.

If you still have issues, you can revert to the old CUPS 1.3 behaviour
by setting USE="-usb" on net-print/cups.

V-Li

--
Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project
<URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode

<URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>
 
Old 09-10-2010, 11:37 PM
Tom√°Ň° Chv√°tal
 
Default CUPS 1.4 and FFMpeg 0.6

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Dne 9.9.2010 15:25, Timo Gurr napsal(a):
> The plan is to release an updated revision incorporating the QA fixes
> from bug #332591 (huge thanks to Tom√°Ň° Chv√°tal (scarabeus) for doing
> the actual work here!)
> Apart from that there's no real showstopper blocking a stabilization
> of CUPS 1.4. The printing guide could need an update though, I've
> already started working on it but my time is limited.
> Regarding stabilization we can't respect printer drivers which are not
> in the official tree since the few ones which are in are already hard
> to maintain with our low manpower, see foo2zjs for example (hplip is
> in a great shape thanks to the massive work of Daniel Pielmeier
> (billie) and gutenprint should be fine, too).
>
> As a general rule for upgrading to cups 1.4 when something regarding
> local usb printers doesn't work:
>
> 1. disable kernel usblp: CONFIG_USB_PRINTER=n
> 2. delete /etc/cups
> 3. (re-)install cups 1.4 with USE="usb"
> 4. configure printer(s) from scratch via the cups webinterface
> 5. if your printer is a multifunction device, be sure you got the udev rules
> setting the device permissions in shape so cups can access the device
>
> If for whatever reason (broken/old printer drivers) that doesn't work
> out there's still the way to install CUPS 1.4 with USE="-usb" to get
> the old CUPS 1.3 behaviour back.
>
> The printing team is suffering low manpower. We also have a bunch of
> open bugs which are probably invalid and caused by not following the
> "upgrade path", broken drivers, or plain misconfiguration, but you
> can't close them without investigation to not upset our users. Not
> responding is quite as bad, but as I said above, this is due to lack
> of time.
>
> Regards
> Timo Gurr (tgurr)
>
Since you guys again talk about stabling something, i added -r1 again.
This time with really trimmed patches that fixes only build time issues
or some issue i experienced localy.

Feel free to rework that patches before stabling it

Cheers

Tomas
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.16 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAkyKwSAACgkQHB6c3gNBRYd2TgCeL+fxqR+gWX rQRILcwEJ2Cx3b
cGIAn14As57qvq5l0T1qJ3xu/d6OfAUE
=4F3p
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
 
Old 09-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Timo Gurr
 
Default CUPS 1.4 and FFMpeg 0.6

2010/9/11 Tom√°Ň° Chv√°tal <scarabeus@gentoo.org>:
> Since you guys again talk about stabling something, i added -r1 again.
> This time with really trimmed patches that fixes only build time issues
> or some issue i experienced localy.
>
> Feel free to rework that patches before stabling it

Thanks, I've just added another revision removing the Debian compat
patch since there hasn't been any decision about it upstream yet and
we have USE="+/-usb" for now. Apart from that there's only a minor fix
in -r2 (bug #296221). Thanks again for your work! I'm fine with
stabilizing it. Should go stable together with the latest ghostscript
revision:

=media-fonts/urw-fonts-2.4.9 (bug #288861)
=app-text/ghostscript-gpl-8.71-r6

see bug #332061.

Regards
Timo Gurr
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:22 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org