Old 08-26-2010, 08:33 AM
Fabian Groffen

Default FOSDEM 2011

On 26-08-2010 10:10:49 +0200, Markus Duft wrote:
> I applied for a main track (regarding gentoo prefix on windows), and i
> wanted to ask around, if there is interest in a devroom/booth/etc again
> this year (to be early enough - we missed it last year, right ).
>
> who will be attending FOSDEM next year?

chances are reasonable I will be there, and if we get a devroom, I can
give a talk on some to be defined subject for sure

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 08-26-2010, 08:55 AM
Markus Duft

On 08/26/2010 10:33 AM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> On 26-08-2010 10:10:49 +0200, Markus Duft wrote:
>> I applied for a main track (regarding gentoo prefix on windows), and i
>> wanted to ask around, if there is interest in a devroom/booth/etc again
>> this year (to be early enough - we missed it last year, right ).
>>
>> who will be attending FOSDEM next year?
>
> chances are reasonable I will be there, and if we get a devroom, I can
> give a talk on some to be defined subject for sure

fine. i'll apply for a devroom then. i can give some heads up on the
interix and windows stuff too, if my talk is rejected (otherwise i'll be
talking about it there anyway ).

markus

Old 08-26-2010, 09:01 AM
Markus Duft

On 08/26/2010 10:55 AM, Markus Duft wrote:
> On 08/26/2010 10:33 AM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
>> On 26-08-2010 10:10:49 +0200, Markus Duft wrote:
>>> I applied for a main track (regarding gentoo prefix on windows), and i
>>> wanted to ask around, if there is interest in a devroom/booth/etc again
>>> this year (to be early enough - we missed it last year, right ).
>>>
>>> who will be attending FOSDEM next year?
>>
>> chances are reasonable I will be there, and if we get a devroom, I can
>> give a talk on some to be defined subject for sure
>
> fine. i'll apply for a devroom then. i can give some heads up on the
> interix and windows stuff too, if my talk is rejected (otherwise i'll be
> talking about it there anyway ).

i just applied for a gentoo devroom. i'll get notice about
acceptance/reject until 2010-10-23. i will speak up then again

booth registration is not yet open, i will have an eye on this too...
(is there any interest in it anyway? who could come up with flyers, cds,
etc.?)

Old 08-26-2010, 09:14 AM
Mike Frysinger

On Thursday, August 26, 2010 05:01:27 Markus Duft wrote:
> booth registration is not yet open, i will have an eye on this too...
> (is there any interest in it anyway? who could come up with flyers, cds,
> etc.?)

the booth is where you get non-Gentoo peeps stopping by, so yes
-mike

Old 08-26-2010, 11:36 AM
Petteri Räty

On 08/26/2010 12:01 PM, Markus Duft wrote:
> On 08/26/2010 10:55 AM, Markus Duft wrote:

>>> chances are reasonable I will be there, and if we get a devroom, I can
>>> give a talk on some to be defined subject for sure
>>
>> fine. i'll apply for a devroom then. i can give some heads up on the
>> interix and windows stuff too, if my talk is rejected (otherwise i'll be
>> talking about it there anyway ).
>>

> i just applied for a gentoo devroom. i'll get notice about
> acceptance/reject until 2010-10-23. i will speak up then again

I highly doubt you will get one because of:
http://fosdem.org/2011/distrominiconf

> booth registration is not yet open, i will have an eye on this too...
> (is there any interest in it anyway? who could come up with flyers, cds,
> etc.?)

Booth we could get but we should have some plans ready before applying.

Regards,
Petteri

Old 08-26-2010, 12:07 PM
Alex Legler

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 11:01:27 +0200, Markus Duft
<markus.duft@salomon.at> wrote:

> booth registration is not yet open, i will have an eye on this too...
> (is there any interest in it anyway? who could come up with flyers,
> cds, etc.?)

The Gentoo e.V. has printed flyers a year ago. There should be plenty
left, especially in English. Talk to rbu, sping or hollow. Also,
there's other stuff like T-Shirts, see
https://www.gentoo-ev.org/wiki/Events for a few pictures.

As for CDs, we've used the 10.1 LiveDVDs, simply burned to DVD-R, but
with a nice printed label. You can expect to hand out at least 35 per
day (we gave them to people for free after a short chat).

--
Alex Legler | Gentoo Security / Ruby
a3li@gentoo.org | a3li@jabber.ccc.de

Old 08-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Roy Bamford

On 2010.08.26 13:07, Alex Legler wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 11:01:27 +0200, Markus Duft
> <markus.duft@salomon.at> wrote:
>
> > booth registration is not yet open, i will have an eye on this
> too...
> > (is there any interest in it anyway? who could come up with flyers,
> > cds, etc.?)
> >

> The Gentoo e.V. has printed flyers a year ago. There should be plenty
> left, especially in English. Talk to rbu, sping or hollow. Also,
> there's other stuff like T-Shirts, see
> https://www.gentoo-ev.org/wiki/Events for a few pictures.
>
> As for CDs, we've used the 10.1 LiveDVDs, simply burned to DVD-R, but
> with a nice printed label. You can expect to hand out at least 35 per
> day (we gave them to people for free after a short chat).
>
> --
> Alex Legler | Gentoo Security / Ruby
> a3li@gentoo.org | a3li@jabber.ccc.de

Team,

The Foundation could fund flyers and CD/DVDs if there is some
organisation, a shipping address and so on. There some guidelines at
http://www.gentoo.org/foundation/en/funding-request-policy.xml

Will there be a new DVD?
10.1 is about a year old already.

I'm not making a funding offer on behalf of the trustees, that will
require a trustees vote, just pointing out a possibility.

I might get there this year but I won't know until Christmas.

Roy Bamford
(Neddyseagoon) a member of
gentoo-ops
forum-mods
trustees

Old 08-26-2010, 08:23 PM
David Abbott

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Will there be a new DVD?
> 10.1 is about a year old already.
likewhoa has been working on a new version and it is almost ready. He
has run into a show stopper as nox is not working and needs some help,
if anyone has the time to help him figure it out. He can be found on
#gentoo-ten.
thanks
david
--
David Abbott (dabbott)
Gentoo

Old 08-27-2010, 02:26 PM
"Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto"

Old 08-30-2010, 07:31 AM
Markus Duft

On 08/27/2010 04:26 PM, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
> On 26-08-2010 12:07, Alex Legler wrote:
>> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 11:01:27 +0200, Markus Duft
>> <markus.duft@salomon.at> wrote:
>
>>> booth registration is not yet open, i will have an eye on this too...
>>> (is there any interest in it anyway? who could come up with flyers,
>>> cds, etc.?)
>
> Any attempt to get a booth should be preceded by a serious discussion
> about what will be handed at the booth and who will be responsible to
> ensure the merchandise and promotion tools (banner?) are present. We
> should not forget that the experience in some of the former events
> wasn't "stellar".

yeah, right

i once worked in an advertising agency, where i can possibly get rather
good prices to print banners, flyers, etc. i just need them in digital
form. however transportation by plane is not so easy, if it's a lot.

would it be an option to send them to somebody whos going by
train/car/whatever? (grobian?)

>> The Gentoo e.V. has printed flyers a year ago. There should be plenty
>> left, especially in English. Talk to rbu, sping or hollow. Also,
>> there's other stuff like T-Shirts, see
>> https://www.gentoo-ev.org/wiki/Events for a few pictures.

rbu, sping, hollow: any comments? will any of you be there? is there
some stuff left over we can use?

>> As for CDs, we've used the 10.1 LiveDVDs, simply burned to DVD-R, but
>> with a nice printed label. You can expect to hand out at least 35 per
>> day (we gave them to people for free after a short chat).
>
> It would be great if we could get a LiveDVD release around January. It
> isn't simple and last year we weren't able to get it done by FOSDEM - we
> being mostly likewhoa. Having more people help testing and fixing
> packages would help.
> About CDs per day, I'm pretty sure we handed more than 35 on FOSDEM2009
> and they weren't "pretty".

if we get some funds for cds and ink from the foundaiton, i can both
burn and prettify (i.e. print directly on them). i guess 100 would be a
good number for the start?

i will request funds as soon as we've come up with a list of things we
need. (so waiting for rbu/sping/hollow to respond in the first place now).

markus