Old 08-22-2010, 08:49 PM
Luca Barbato

Default GLes and OpenVG related management

There are some programs that might use gles instead of opengl and we
have some openvg development as well.

Mesa git provides support for gles1, gles2 and openvg 1.0.1, shivavg has
an openvg on glx implementation, on the embedded field some drivers are
getting provided that are eventually compatible (so we should think
about extending eselect opengl to cover openvg and gles)

Right now what I find interesting are:

evas - works neatly out of box enabling gles, nothing done in portage yet.
mesa - provides everything in every platform up to a degree (so we can
test on a desktop), The mesa-9999 ebuild in the x11 overlay should
provide it.
cairo - cairo-gl need polishing, lots of polishing, cairo-vg might work,
I'll mess with the ebuild on the x11 overlay a bit more
sdl - seems to have gles support as well but I hadn't tried it yet
qt - it does support both, I already nagged the qt team about it.

I'd like to have a gles and an openvg useflag defined to:

gles - prefer using egl+opengles instead of glx+opengl
openvg - enable openvg support

Comments?

lu

--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo/linux

Old 08-23-2010, 07:10 AM
Duncan

Luca Barbato posted on Sun, 22 Aug 2010 22:49:19 +0200 as excerpted:

> gles - prefer using egl+opengles instead of glx+opengl
> openvg - enable openvg support

For anyone else as clueless as I was, the wikipedia entries
and a short descriptive excerpt from each:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GLES

OpenGL for Embedded Systems (OpenGL ES) is a subset of the OpenGL 3D
graphics API designed for embedded devices such as mobile phones, PDAs,
and video game consoles. OpenGL ES is managed by the not-for-profit
technology consortium, the Khronos Group, Inc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openvg

OpenVG is a standard API designed for hardware-accelerated 2D vector
graphics. It is aimed primarily at cell phones, media and gaming consoles
such as the PlayStation 3, and other consumer electronic devices.