Old 08-16-2010, 04:58 AM
"Paweł Hajdan, Jr."

Default Cleanup of the "Get Gentoo" page

On 8/8/10 6:22 PM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
> I'd like to suggest a cleanup of our "Get Gentoo" page. It is one of the
> more important pages, because every new user has to visit it.
>
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~phajdan.jr/where.xml

Okay, let's get some decisions on it.

Joshua Saddler raised some concerns, and I asked what essential
information is missing from my suggested page that is on the current
page. In my opinion everything that should be there is still there, and
I only changed the order of things.

Roy Bamford suggested we post more information about CPU families for
each arch to make the right choice easier. I think we can do that in
another cleanup pass (let's fix one issue at a time), and it would be
nice to get a more detailed suggestion (there are just so many x86 cpu
families).

Sebastian Pipping and Markos Chandras liked the new page.

So, how do we proceed?

Old 08-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Markos Chandras

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 09:58:32PM -0700, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
> On 8/8/10 6:22 PM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
> > I'd like to suggest a cleanup of our "Get Gentoo" page. It is one of the
> > more important pages, because every new user has to visit it.
> >
> > http://dev.gentoo.org/~phajdan.jr/where.xml
>
> Okay, let's get some decisions on it.
>
> Joshua Saddler raised some concerns, and I asked what essential
> information is missing from my suggested page that is on the current
> page. In my opinion everything that should be there is still there, and
> I only changed the order of things.
>
> Roy Bamford suggested we post more information about CPU families for
> each arch to make the right choice easier. I think we can do that in
> another cleanup pass (let's fix one issue at a time), and it would be
> nice to get a more detailed suggestion (there are just so many x86 cpu
> families).
>
> Sebastian Pipping and Markos Chandras liked the new page.
>
> So, how do we proceed?

You should talk directly to the teams how are responsible for this part of the
webpage like dosc or pr teams

--
Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
Gentoo Linux Developer

Old 08-16-2010, 06:43 PM
Joshua Saddler

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 16:34:08 +0300
Markos Chandras <hwoarang@gentoo.org> wrote:

> You should talk directly to the teams how are responsible for this part of the
> webpage like dosc or pr teams

Common misconception. Neither the GDP, PR, or even Releng is directly responsible for those pages, though all three teams have provided input in the past.

There's just me.

I happen to be on all three teams, but none of those teams themselves are responsible for /main/ content.

That said, I've been looking at the proposed changes, so I'll be implementing some or all of them soon, probably today, time permitting.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:11 AM
Joshua Saddler

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 11:43:06 -0700
Joshua Saddler <nightmorph@gentoo.org> wrote:
> That said, I've been looking at the proposed changes, so I'll be implementing
> some or all of them soon, probably today, time permitting.

I'm not going to be able to get to this, so anyone else with commit access to /main/en/ can feel free to make the changes.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:29 AM
David Abbott

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 8:11 PM, Joshua Saddler <nightmorph@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 11:43:06 -0700
> Joshua Saddler <nightmorph@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> That said, I've been looking at the proposed changes, so I'll be implementing
>> some or all of them soon, probably today, time permitting.
>
> I'm not going to be able to get to this, so anyone else with commit access to /main/en/ can feel free to make the changes.

I can but just want to make sure this is what everyone wants;
http://dev.gentoo.org/~dabbott/pr/where.xml
I got that from http://dev.gentoo.org/~phajdan.jr/where.xml
Looks fine to me I am ready to commit, just say so and its done.
david

--
David Abbott (dabbott)
Gentoo

Old 08-17-2010, 05:11 AM
Ben de Groot

On 17 August 2010 02:43, Joshua Saddler <nightmorph@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 16:34:08 +0300
> Markos Chandras <hwoarang@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> You should talk directly to the teams how are responsible for this part of the
>> webpage like dosc or pr teams
>
> Common misconception. Neither the GDP, PR, or even Releng is directly responsible for those pages, though all three teams have provided input in the past.
>
> There's just me.
>
> I happen to be on all three teams, but none of those teams themselves are responsible for /main/ content.

The team responsible for the main website is the now defunct www team.

http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/contact.xml says "Maintaining Gentoo's
presence on the web is a daunting task. Gentoo has a dedicated team of
webmasters who keep our site looking sharp and up-to-date. If you have
a question or comment about any Gentoo web site, then this team is
what you are looking for. They can be contacted by sending an email to
www@gentoo.org."

But nobody seems worried about the fact that emails to that address
don't get answered. I was about to step in there, when I got sidelined
by Calchan.

Cheers,
Ben

Old 08-17-2010, 05:24 AM
Alec Warner

I have access to main/en and I am willing to do website stuff; just
nothing with a quick turnaround.

I know guidexml and enough xsl to be dangerous.

-A

Old 08-17-2010, 06:44 AM
Joshua Saddler

Excellent. I've been the defacto www@ team for as long as I can remember. More help would be appreciated.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:07 PM
"Paweł Hajdan, Jr."

On 8/16/10 5:29 PM, David Abbott wrote:
> I can but just want to make sure this is what everyone wants;
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~dabbott/pr/where.xml
> I got that from http://dev.gentoo.org/~phajdan.jr/where.xml
> Looks fine to me I am ready to commit, just say so and its done.

Looks good to me. Thanks!

Old 08-17-2010, 07:01 PM
David Abbott