Old 08-07-2010, 09:15 PM
William Hubbs

Default status of releng project

All,

I have noticed that this list and the gentoo-releng irc channel
have been dead for a very long time, and I remember seeing a post a
while back in which agaffney announced his retirement. Also there are
multiple bugs open on livecd-tools, and there has been no attempt to fix
them.

I offered to join the team a while back, but was told there was no time
to train me.

So, I am concerned about the releng project. What is it's status? Do
we have anyone who is in the project any longer?

What about the maintenance of their tools? I see from the live ebuilds
that they are maintained on git repositories that are not part of
gentoo's infrastructure, and, in the case of livecd-tools, there have
been no changes since December of last year.

Can someone respond to gentoo-releng and let us know the status of the
project?

Thanks much,

William

Old 08-08-2010, 04:06 AM
Andrew Gaffney

Rumors of my retirement are greatly exagerated (well, not that much). I did
retire, but I took it back, and now I'm just as active was I was previously!

Due to the mostly automated nature of releng these days, there's not much need
for this mailing list or the IRC channel to be "chatty".

[...]

Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Genkernel + Release Engineering Lead

Old 08-08-2010, 11:19 AM
"Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto"

On 07-08-2010 21:15, William Hubbs wrote:
> All,
>
> I have noticed that this list and the gentoo-releng irc channel
> have been dead for a very long time, and I remember seeing a post a
> while back in which agaffney announced his retirement. Also there are
> multiple bugs open on livecd-tools, and there has been no attempt to fix
> them.

Andrew already replied to the gentoo-releng ml[1], but in case someone
wonders what happened by reading this ml, I'm adding a reply here.

> I offered to join the team a while back, but was told there was no time
> to train me.
>
> So, I am concerned about the releng project. What is it's status? Do
> we have anyone who is in the project any longer?

agaffney is still the releng lead and we still have a few people working
in the releng team.
We're working to get new weekly stages for amd64/x86 soon and added back
the missing isos for amd64/x86. Most of the other arches have current
weekly stages and isos.

> What about the maintenance of their tools? I see from the live ebuilds
> that they are maintained on git repositories that are not part of
> gentoo's infrastructure, and, in the case of livecd-tools, there have
> been no changes since December of last year.
>
> Can someone respond to gentoo-releng and let us know the status of the
> project?
>
> Thanks much,
>
> William

[1] -
http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-releng/msg_dbd6fc26b572d5771db0a2f9fdc158f7.xml

- --

Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / KDE / Elections

Old 08-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Eric Thibodeau

Andrew,

Is the dracut patch integrated into genkernel yet

ET

Old 08-09-2010, 06:29 AM
Mike Frysinger

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 5:15 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
> I have noticed that this list and the gentoo-releng irc channel
> have been dead for a very long time, and I remember seeing a post a
> while back in which agaffney announced his retirement. *Also there are
> multiple bugs open on livecd-tools, and there has been no attempt to fix
> them.
>
> I offered to join the team a while back, but was told there was no time
> to train me.
>
> So, I am concerned about the releng project. *What is it's status? *Do
> we have anyone who is in the project any longer?
>
> What about the maintenance of their tools? *I see from the live ebuilds
> that they are maintained on git repositories that are not part of
> gentoo's infrastructure, and, in the case of livecd-tools, there have
> been no changes since December of last year.
>
> Can someone respond to gentoo-releng and let us know the status of the
> project?

sure would be nice if someone picked up the installer again ...
-mike

Old 08-12-2010, 07:35 AM
Ben de Groot

On 9 August 2010 14:29, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> sure would be nice if someone picked up the installer again ...

No, it wouldn't. Best leave that dead and buried.

Cheers,
Ben

Old 08-12-2010, 08:29 AM
Fabio Erculiani

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 9 August 2010 14:29, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> sure would be nice if someone picked up the installer again ...
>
> No, it wouldn't. Best leave that dead and buried.

That one, for sure.

--
Fabio Erculiani
http://lxnay.com

Old 08-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Thilo Bangert

Ben de Groot <yngwin@gentoo.org> said:
> On 9 August 2010 14:29, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > sure would be nice if someone picked up the installer again ...
>
> No, it wouldn't. Best leave that dead and buried.

Could you explain why you think so?

Old 08-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Ben de Groot

On 12 August 2010 17:13, Thilo Bangert <bangert@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Ben de Groot <yngwin@gentoo.org> said:
>> On 9 August 2010 14:29, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> > sure would be nice if someone picked up the installer again ...
>>
>> No, it wouldn't. Best leave that dead and buried.
>
> Could you explain why you think so?

1) it was an experiment plagued by bugs, some *very* serious
2) the normal, "hands-on", follow the handbook, manual install has
always been the recommended way to install Gentoo, and could be
considered a rite of passage, familiarizing the user with how things
are done in this distro
3) too few people are interested in developing, testing and
maintaining this; making it more likely that a revival of this project
will result in failure again
4) a buggy installer is a disservice to new users and can give them a
false impression of Gentoo

But that's just my opinion. :-)

Cheers,
Ben