Old 08-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Markos Chandras

Default Add --hash-style=gnu to LDFLAGS

Hi there,

It seems like few of our fellow developers don't know how to track down
packages that don't respect LDFLAGS. Adding -Wl,--hash-style=gnu is a good way
to do that. I would like to see this linker flag enabled by default on LDFLAGS
(or at least for the dev/ profiles for now). Do you agree?

I would also like to know the procedures I should follow to make this default
on every profile as well. Do I need a council approval for that?

Enabling this by default we really help QA team to track down packages that
don't respect LDFLAGS (hence they don't respect either the --as-needed
option which was recenlty added to global LDFLAGS ).

Objections/thoughts on that?

--
Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
Gentoo Linux Developer

Old 08-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Tomáš Chvátal

Old 08-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Alexis Ballier

> It seems like few of our fellow developers don't know how to track down
> packages that don't respect LDFLAGS. Adding -Wl,--hash-style=gnu is a good
> way to do that. I would like to see this linker flag enabled by default on
> LDFLAGS (or at least for the dev/ profiles for now). Do you agree?

no

http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_27dfa5198d43c5ef1b4bfdc7d19e970f.xml

A.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Markos Chandras

O Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 07:37:50PM +0300, Alexis Ballier wrote:
> > It seems like few of our fellow developers don't know how to track down
> > packages that don't respect LDFLAGS. Adding -Wl,--hash-style=gnu is a good
> > way to do that. I would like to see this linker flag enabled by default on
> > LDFLAGS (or at least for the dev/ profiles for now). Do you agree?
>
> no
>
> http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_27dfa5198d43c5ef1b4bfdc7d19e970f.xml
>
> A.

Fair enough
I wasn't aware that a previous discussion took place on -dev in the past

Is there another way to deal with this?