Old 07-31-2010, 11:37 AM
Hanno Bck

Default New global use flag: vpx or vp8

vpx for supporting googles vp8 codec used in webm.

At the moment this is only mplayer and ffmpeg, but it's pretty obvious that
apps supporting vp8 will start popping up everywhere (currently working on
arista ebuild which will support it).

Though we might discuss if vpx is really a good name or it shouldn't be vp8.

--
Hanno Bck Blog: http://www.hboeck.de/
GPG: 3DBD3B20 Jabber/Mail: hanno@hboeck.de

Old 07-31-2010, 03:09 PM
"Paweł Hajdan, Jr."

On 7/31/10 4:37 AM, Hanno Böck wrote:
> vpx for supporting googles vp8 codec used in webm.
>
> At the moment this is only mplayer and ffmpeg, but it's pretty obvious that
> apps supporting vp8 will start popping up everywhere (currently working on
> arista ebuild which will support it).

Just verifying: does the vpx USE flag in ffmpeg control the support for
encoding vp8, decoding it, or both? How should www-client/chromium
depend on ffmpeg to make sure it will support vp8?

> Though we might discuss if vpx is really a good name or it shouldn't be vp8.

It might also be webm. Not sure what's more intuitive for people. Also,
nteresting question would be whether to enable the flag by default an in
which profiles (desktop?).

Paweł

Old 07-31-2010, 03:30 PM
Robert Bridge

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 4:09 PM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr."
<phajdan.jr@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 7/31/10 4:37 AM, Hanno Böck wrote:
>> Though we might discuss if vpx is really a good name or it shouldn't be vp8.
>
> It might also be webm. Not sure what's more intuitive for people. Also,
> nteresting question would be whether to enable the flag by default an in
> which profiles (desktop?).

Speaking as a user, I would ask what the standard file ending is? Most
users won't know what the codec is, they will just know is foo.webm or
foo.vpx/8.

Just a thought if debating the name.

RobbieAB.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:27 PM
Jacob Godserv

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 16:30:06 +0100
Robert Bridge <robert@robbieab.com> wrote:

> Speaking as a user, I would ask what the standard file ending is? Most
> users won't know what the codec is, they will just know is foo.webm or
> foo.vpx/8.
>
> Just a thought if debating the name.

Honestly not sure what convention is for naming, but I found this
recently, and thought I might throw it out there:

~ $ euse -i lame
[+ C ] lame - Prefer using LAME libraries for MP3 encoding support

While, as a user, I prefer this to be mp3, I also understand there may
be more than one library for such-and-so, so I'm willing to read up on
USE flags to find out which is the best to use. Overall, I would prefer
naming according to the names of the libraries they'll enable.

--
Jacob

"For then there will be great distress, unequaled
from the beginning of the world until now — and never
to be equaled again. If those days had not been cut
short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the
elect those days will be shortened."

Are you ready?

Old 07-31-2010, 06:51 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Saturday, July 31, 2010 14:27:14 Jacob Godserv wrote:
> Honestly not sure what convention is for naming, but I found this
> recently, and thought I might throw it out there:
>
> ~ $ euse -i lame
> [+ C ] lame - Prefer using LAME libraries for MP3 encoding support
>
> While, as a user, I prefer this to be mp3, I also understand there may
> be more than one library for such-and-so, so I'm willing to read up on
> USE flags to find out which is the best to use. Overall, I would prefer
> naming according to the names of the libraries they'll enable.

that example isnt relevant. notice how the description includes the word
"prefer" and isnt just "enable mp3 support".

USE=mp3 is how you get mp3 support. if there are multiple options (like
ffmpeg or lame or mpg123 or something else), then USE=lame shows up to select
one particular implementation over another. but it would still be:
USE="mp3 lame"
-mike

Old 07-31-2010, 08:01 PM
Steve Dibb