Old 07-26-2010, 08:29 PM
Tomáš Chvátal

Default News item announcing as-needed (glep 42 stuff)

Hi guys,
See the attachment for the draft.

Please improve it to be an actual English :P

Cheers

Tom
Title: --as-needed enabled in default profiles
Author: Tomáš Chvátal <scarabeus@gentoo.org>
Revision: 1
News-Item-Format: 1.0

Starting today all applications emerged on your system are linked
together with additional LDFLAGS="-Wl,--as-needed". This option
allows us to avoid linking extra libraries into the final binary
improving startup times and more importantly making binaries more
resistant to a library SONAME changes [1].

To gain the benefits of the change you should doublecheck your
value of LDFLAGS in make.conf because the variable does not fold and
your make.conf value is final. So after checking it and potentially
removing we suggest rebuilding whole system to benefit from it.

Overriding the in-profiles value is quite simple as described by
previous paragraph. Just put simply LDFLAGS="-Wl,01" in make.conf.

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/asneeded.xml

Old 07-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Fabian Groffen

On 26-07-2010 22:29:06 +0200, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
> Starting today all applications emerged on your system are linked
> together with additional LDFLAGS="-Wl,--as-needed". This option
> allows us to avoid linking extra libraries into the final binary
> improving startup times and more importantly making binaries more
> resistant to a library SONAME changes [1].

While this is sort of the end result, I'd suggest making a more correct
statement here, like "and more importantly possibly reducing breakage of
binaries and libraries after a library SONAME changes".

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 07-26-2010, 08:44 PM
"Paweł Hajdan, Jr."

On 7/26/10 1:29 PM, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
> Title: --as-needed enabled in default profiles
> Author: Tomáš Chvátal <scarabeus@gentoo.org>
> Revision: 1
> News-Item-Format: 1.0
>
> Starting today all applications emerged on your system are linked
> together with additional LDFLAGS="-Wl,--as-needed". This option
> allows us to avoid linking extra libraries into the final binary
> improving startup times and more importantly making binaries more
> resistant to a library SONAME changes [1].

How about making it less technical? Just say that you'll need to rebuild
less packages on average after a library upgrade than before.

> To gain the benefits of the change you should doublecheck your
> value of LDFLAGS in make.conf because the variable does not fold and
> your make.conf value is final. So after checking it and potentially
> removing we suggest rebuilding whole system to benefit from it.

This might be a bit unclear to less savvy users. How about just make
sure your LDFLAGS in /etc/make.conf contains "-Wl,--as-needed" or is unset?

> Overriding the in-profiles value is quite simple as described by
> previous paragraph. Just put simply LDFLAGS="-Wl,01" in make.conf.

Instead of saying "overriding", I'd say something more similar to
"disabling --as-needed" and add that it is not recommended.

> [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/asneeded.xml

Paweł

P.S. It's nice to see this happening, thanks!

Old 07-26-2010, 10:09 PM
Alex Alexander

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 10:29:06PM +0200, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
> Hi guys,
> See the attachment for the draft.
>
> Please improve it to be an actual English :P

How about:

-Wl,--as-needed has been added to the default profile's LDFLAGS.

This option optimizes the linking process, only linking binaries to
libraries that are trully needed. This way, fewer libraries are loaded
at runtime and fewer packages need to be rebuilt on library updates.

Setting LDFLAGS in your make.conf will override the default. In that
case, if you want the new setting you have to either remove LDFLAGS,
or append " -Wl,--as-needed" to it (sans the quotes) yourself.

To take advantage of the new default you can either rebuild world or
allow the system to migrate slowly through updates.

To disable the new default (not recommended) you can define your own
LDFLAGS in make.conf. LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1" will suffice.

For more information on --as-needed, read [1].

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/asneeded.xml

--
Alex Alexander -=- wired
Gentoo Linux Developer -=- Council / Qt / KDE / more