Old 07-17-2010, 11:33 PM
Brian Harring

Default Upcoming Council meeting on July 26th, 1900 UTC

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 01:05:02AM +0300, Alex Alexander wrote:
> The Council will have its next meeting on the 26th of July, 2010.
>
> The meeting will begin at 1900 UTC.
>
> You may use [0] to find out the correct time in your timezone.
>
> Here's a draft list of the meeting topics so far:
> * vote on adding --as-needed to the default profile's LDFLAGS
> * discuss (and maybe vote on) required-use
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~ferringb/required-use.html

Adding eclass removal policy to the agenda; it directly affects devs,
and the previous policy (imo) is misinterpretted slightly.

Specifically, 06/01/08, portage 2.1.4.4 went stable; this had env
saving/restoration support. The original council decree was that
eclasses had to sit for 2 years- I very strongly posit that the time
period there should've been bound to portage env capabilities rather
than eclass timelines.

Reasoning is simple enough- w/ a proper PM, eclasses can be
removed/modified at will without affecting binpkgs/installed pkgs.

So the question I'd like on the agenda is basically if there is any
reason to preserve the decree- if not, punt it.

~harring

Old 07-18-2010, 03:13 AM
"Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto"

On 17-07-2010 23:33, Brian Harring wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 01:05:02AM +0300, Alex Alexander wrote:
>> The Council will have its next meeting on the 26th of July, 2010.
>>
>> The meeting will begin at 1900 UTC.
>>
>> You may use [0] to find out the correct time in your timezone.
>>
>> Here's a draft list of the meeting topics so far:
>> * vote on adding --as-needed to the default profile's LDFLAGS
>> * discuss (and maybe vote on) required-use
>> http://dev.gentoo.org/~ferringb/required-use.html
>
> Adding eclass removal policy to the agenda; it directly affects devs,
> and the previous policy (imo) is misinterpretted slightly.
>
> Specifically, 06/01/08, portage 2.1.4.4 went stable; this had env
> saving/restoration support. The original council decree was that
> eclasses had to sit for 2 years- I very strongly posit that the time
> period there should've been bound to portage env capabilities rather
> than eclass timelines.
>
> Reasoning is simple enough- w/ a proper PM, eclasses can be
> removed/modified at will without affecting binpkgs/installed pkgs.
>
> So the question I'd like on the agenda is basically if there is any
> reason to preserve the decree- if not, punt it.

I would like to have the council discuss this issue again. We should
probably also address the issue of EAPI changes in eclasses that was
subject of a recent thread in the dev ml.

> ~harring

Let's add to the agenda the use of the invalid DEPEND atom
"EAPI_TOO_OLD" instead of calling die in global scope on eclasses.

I cross-posted this email to both gentoo-dev and gentoo-council mls as
Brian used the former and Alex started this thread in the latter. Which
ML do we want to use?

- --

Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / KDE / Elections

Old 07-18-2010, 03:43 AM
Brian Harring

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 06:21:03AM +0300, Theo Chatzimichos wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 6:13 AM, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto
> <jmbsvicetto@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > I cross-posted this email to both gentoo-dev and gentoo-council mls as
> > Brian used the former and Alex started this thread in the latter. Which
> > ML do we want to use?
>
> I guess Brian posted on gentoo-dev as this usually happens with
> threads that start on -dev-announce. I'd prefer you to use gentoo-dev
> for such council meeting threads (pretty please)

Generally seconded on that one.
~brian

Old 07-18-2010, 06:06 AM
Christian Faulhammer

Old 07-18-2010, 02:21 PM
Christian Faulhammer

Hi,

Theo Chatzimichos <tampakrap@gentoo.org>:

> On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Christian Faulhammer
> <fauli@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > *What about getting rid of -project?
> >
> > V-Li
>
> WHAT? Why??

Because it is useless in my eyes. All discussion could also take
place here and most people mix it up anyway. The distinction is too
blurry.

V-Li

<URL:http://www.faulhammer.org/>

Old 07-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Petteri Räty

On 07/18/2010 05:21 PM, Christian Faulhammer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Theo Chatzimichos <tampakrap@gentoo.org>:
>
>> On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Christian Faulhammer
>> <fauli@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>> What about getting rid of -project?
>>>
>>> V-Li
>>
>> WHAT? Why??
>
> Because it is useless in my eyes. All discussion could also take
> place here and most people mix it up anyway. The distinction is too
> blurry.
>
> V-Li

The "tone in gentoo" etc threads recently belonged to gentoo-project.
Those threads are usually the ones that grow the longest. If people want
those on gentoo-dev then gentoo-project is not needed. Granted most of
the time the list is not that active but so are many other mailing lists
we have. I don't think this is something we should have on the council
agenda without the issues having had it's own thread (on gentoo-project
according to current rules).

Regards,
Petteri

Old 07-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Dale

Petteri Räty wrote:

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Christian Faulhammer
Because it is useless in my eyes. All discussion could also take
place here and most people mix it up anyway. The distinction is too
blurry.

V-Li

The "tone in gentoo" etc threads recently belonged to gentoo-project.
Those threads are usually the ones that grow the longest. If people want
those on gentoo-dev then gentoo-project is not needed. Granted most of
the time the list is not that active but so are many other mailing lists
we have. I don't think this is something we should have on the council
agenda without the issues having had it's own thread (on gentoo-project
according to current rules).

Regards,
Petteri

It always seemed to me that people want to send threads to -project for
them to just go away. Once a thread goes to -project, it just whithers
on the vine and nothing much happens. There may be a need for -project
but if almost no one is going to be there, there is no point sending
threads to it. Maybe developers should be required to subscribe to
-project so that even if a thread is sent there, they still get to see
the postings and deal with the issues that are being raised.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 07-18-2010, 11:27 PM
Duncan

Dale posted on Sun, 18 Jul 2010 12:43:43 -0500 as excerpted:

> It always seemed to me that people want to send threads to -project for
> them to just go away. Once a thread goes to -project, it just whithers
> on the vine and nothing much happens. There may be a need for -project
> but if almost no one is going to be there, there is no point sending
> threads to it. Maybe developers should be required to subscribe to
> -project so that even if a thread is sent there, they still get to see
> the postings and deal with the issues that are being raised.

I think that was the point. Having the list and telling people the topic
belongs there is the polite way of telling them their output's better
directed to /dev/null (which is of course the the geeky *ix way of saying
"shutup already!"), without actually restricting someone's right to make
their point... just that they might as well be posting to their private
diary for the number of others that'll actually read it.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:53 AM
Piotr Jaroszyński

On 19 July 2010 01:27, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net> wrote:
> Dale posted on Sun, 18 Jul 2010 12:43:43 -0500 as excerpted:
>
>> It always seemed to me that people want to send threads to -project for
>> them to just go away. Â*Once a thread goes to -project, it just whithers
>> on the vine and nothing much happens. Â*There may be a need for -project
>> but if almost no one is going to be there, there is no point sending
>> threads to it. Â*Maybe developers should be required to subscribe to
>> -project so that even if a thread is sent there, they still get to see
>> the postings and deal with the issues that are being raised.
>
> I think that was the point. Â*Having the list and telling people the topic
> belongs there is the polite way of telling them their output's better
> directed to /dev/null (which is of course the the geeky *ix way of saying
> "shutup already!"), without actually restricting someone's right to make
> their point... just that they might as well be posting to their private
> diary for the number of others that'll actually read it.

Yeah, that's exactly a thread that belongs to -project and not -dev.

--
Best Regards
Piotr Jaroszyński

Old 07-19-2010, 01:11 AM
Dale

Piotr Jaroszyński wrote:

[...]

I think you may be missing the point of Duncan's reply. My point is,
when someone doesn't want someone with a different way of looking at
things to post on this list, they tell them to go to -project. They
seem to think that some people are stupid and won't realize that what
they are really saying is to "go away" and/or "shut up". Thing is, some
people are actually smart enough to see what is going on and what that
means. They sometimes go away, far away.

Then some people wonder why, just why, Gentoo has the reputation that it
does. I don't wonder myself. I figured that out a good long while ago.

Dale

:-) :-)