Old 07-17-2010, 08:23 PM
Matti Bickel

Default Last rites: eclass/php5_1.eclass

On 07/17/2010 09:58 PM, Matti Bickel wrote:
> since there's no dev-lang/php-5.1* version in the tree anymore, this
> eclass is useless. It will be removed on 17th August 2010.

I've just been told by scarabeus that eclass removal is a two years
minimum process. So it'll be removed 17th August 2012 and marked #@DEAD
(deprived of functionality) in the next days.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Ryan Hill

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 22:23:03 +0200
Matti Bickel <mabi@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 07/17/2010 09:58 PM, Matti Bickel wrote:
> > since there's no dev-lang/php-5.1* version in the tree anymore, this
> > eclass is useless. It will be removed on 17th August 2010.
>
> I've just been told by scarabeus that eclass removal is a two years
> minimum process. So it'll be removed 17th August 2012 and marked #@DEAD
> (deprived of functionality) in the next days.

/me shakes his fist once again at the inanity of this policy.

--
fonts, gcc-porting, and it's all by design
toolchain, wxwidgets to keep us from losing our minds

Old 07-18-2010, 08:05 PM
Doug Goldstein

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 22:23:03 +0200
> Matti Bickel <mabi@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> On 07/17/2010 09:58 PM, Matti Bickel wrote:
>> > since there's no dev-lang/php-5.1* version in the tree anymore, this
>> > eclass is useless. It will be removed on 17th August 2010.
>>
>> I've just been told by scarabeus that eclass removal is a two years
>> minimum process. So it'll be removed 17th August 2012 and marked #@DEAD
>> (deprived of functionality) in the next days.
>
> /me shakes his fist once again at the inanity of this policy.

Just remove it! If the council can not be bothered to help developers
develop but instead hinder developers from developing, then they are
no longer relevant and should be treated as such. Other course of
action could always be that they should all be kicked out and replaced
with a suitable organization to ensure Gentoo's technical and
developmental success.

--
Doug Goldstein

Old 07-19-2010, 07:46 AM
Alex Alexander

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 03:05:18PM -0500, Doug Goldstein wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 22:23:03 +0200
> > Matti Bickel <mabi@gentoo.org> wrote:

> >> I've just been told by scarabeus that eclass removal is a two years
> >> minimum process. So it'll be removed 17th August 2012 and marked #@DEAD
> >> (deprived of functionality) in the next days.
> >
> > /me shakes his fist once again at the inanity of this policy.
> >

> Just remove it! If the council can not be bothered to help developers
> develop but instead hinder developers from developing, then they are
> no longer relevant and should be treated as such. Other course of
> action could always be that they should all be kicked out and replaced
> with a suitable organization to ensure Gentoo's technical and
> developmental success.

Thats a bit harsh

We are already planning to re-visit this issue:
http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_fcd62364eb57125a651397a5328a7af9.xml

--
Alex Alexander :: wired
Gentoo Developer