Old 07-14-2010, 05:27 PM
William Hubbs

Default rfc: amateur radio applications should not be in media-radio

All,

I have recently noticed that our amateur radio applications are in the
category media-radio.

Amateur Radio is not considered part of the media, so I would like to
propose renaming this category to app-hamradio, or possibly moving the
amateur radio applications to app-hamradio if there are things in
media-radio which are not amateur radio related.

What does everyone else think?

Thanks,

William

Old 07-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Thomas Beierlein

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 12:27:47 -0500
William Hubbs <williamh@gentoo.org> wrote:

> All,
>
> I have recently noticed that our amateur radio applications are in the
> category media-radio.
>
> Amateur Radio is not considered part of the media, so I would like to
> propose renaming this category to app-hamradio, or possibly moving the
> amateur radio applications to app-hamradio if there are things in
> media-radio which are not amateur radio related.

I like the idea very much. But I am an radio amateur and therefore I am
a little bit biased . I was always confused to find them in
media-radio. If we do the move please count on me.

But to be honest there are some amateur (ham) radio related packages in
other categories too (e.g. app-misc/aldo - a cw morse trainer,
app-text/7plus - a packet radio text encoder, ..). So maybe a general
cleanup would be good.

A quick count in media-radio gives 12 packages for amateur radio and 2
others (the second one coming in just today). In sunrise there are 11
amateur radio related packages and 0 others. That means a move to
app-hamradio would leave media-radio nearly empty.

Regards
Thomas.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:16 PM
William Hubbs

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 08:48:25PM +0200, Thomas Beierlein wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 12:27:47 -0500
> William Hubbs <williamh@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > I have recently noticed that our amateur radio applications are in the
> > category media-radio.
> >
> > Amateur Radio is not considered part of the media, so I would like to
> > propose renaming this category to app-hamradio, or possibly moving the
> > amateur radio applications to app-hamradio if there are things in
> > media-radio which are not amateur radio related.
> >
> I like the idea very much. But I am an radio amateur and therefore I am
> a little bit biased . I was always confused to find them in
> media-radio. If we do the move please count on me.

I am an amateur radio operator as well, and that is why putting the ham radio
apps in"media-radio" bothers me. Ham radio is not part of the media.

> But to be honest there are some amateur (ham) radio related packages in
> other categories too (e.g. app-misc/aldo - a cw morse trainer,
> app-text/7plus - a packet radio text encoder, ..). So maybe a general
> cleanup would be good.
>
> A quick count in media-radio gives 12 packages for amateur radio and 2
> others (the second one coming in just today). In sunrise there are 11
> amateur radio related packages and 0 others. That means a move to
> app-hamradio would leave media-radio nearly empty.

I would say that if the sunrise packages eventually get moved into
portage, they should go in app-hamradio instead of media-radio, then
maybe we could move the other ham radio packages over there, but then
what would be the best choice for whatever is left in media-radio?

William

Old 07-14-2010, 08:33 PM
Richard Freeman

On 07/14/2010 03:16 PM, William Hubbs wrote:

I am an amateur radio operator as well, and that is why putting the ham radio
apps in"media-radio" bothers me. Ham radio is not part of the media.

Most of the stuff in the media-* doesn't have anything to do with "the
media" - whatever that is.

Media likely stands for multimedia - generally referring to anything
that has to do with sound, graphics, video, etc. I doubt that the
jsmath font has anything to do with "the media," but it is a font, and
fonts have to do with graphics, and graphics are part of multimedia.

If we REALLY want to move I guess we can do so, but I don't think that
the category was supposed to be suggestive of the news or entertainment
industries.

Rich

Old 07-14-2010, 11:27 PM
Paul Arthur

On 2010-07-14, William Hubbs <williamh@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 08:48:25PM +0200, Thomas Beierlein wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 12:27:47 -0500 William Hubbs
>><williamh@gentoo.org> wrote: =20
>>
>> > All, =20 I have recently noticed that our amateur radio
>> >applications are in the category media-radio. =20 Amateur Radio
>> >is not considered part of the media, so I would like to propose
>> >renaming this category to app-hamradio, or possibly moving the
>> >amateur radio applications to app-hamradio if there are things in
>> >media-radio which are not amateur radio related. =20
>>
>> I like the idea very much. But I am an radio amateur and therefore
>> I am a little bit biased . I was always confused to find them in
>> media-radio. If we do the move please count on me.
>
> I am an amateur radio operator as well, and that is why putting the
> ham radio apps in"media-radio" bothers me. Ham radio is not part
> of the media.

But it is a medium. media-* has nothing to do with "the media"; I
really don't see any point to this proposed change..

Old 07-15-2010, 12:43 AM
Steve Dibb

On 2010-07-14, William Hubbs<williamh@gentoo.org> wrote:

[...]

I say go for it. media-radio should be for V4L2 apps, mostly, that use
it. The remaining two can either go into media-tv or app-misc or some
other fitting category.

Steve

Old 07-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Thomas Beierlein

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 19:27:16 -0400
Paul Arthur <flowerysong00@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2010-07-14, William Hubbs <williamh@gentoo.org> wrote:

> > I am an amateur radio operator as well, and that is why putting the
> > ham radio apps in"media-radio" bothers me. Ham radio is not part
> > of the media.
>
> But it is a medium. media-* has nothing to do with "the media"; I
> really don't see any point to this proposed change..

At least the metadata.xml for media-radio seems inconsistent as far as
I can read the different languages:

The English language speaks about media applications:

"The media-radio category contains radio-related media applications"

The German translation one speaks definitely about applications around
amateur radio:

"Die Kategorie media-radio enthält Applikationen zum Thema Amateur
Radio"

And finally in Polish translation (as far as I can tell) speaks about
radio-related multimedia applications.

"Kategoria media-radio zawiera oprogramowanie multimedialne związane z
radiem"

So maybe a clarification is in urgent need here.

Thomas.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Thomas Beierlein

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 14:16:54 -0500
William Hubbs <williamh@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 08:48:25PM +0200, Thomas Beierlein wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 12:27:47 -0500
> > William Hubbs <williamh@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >
> > > All,
> > >
> > > I have recently noticed that our amateur radio applications are
> > > in the category media-radio.
> > >
> > > Amateur Radio is not considered part of the media, so I would
> > > like to propose renaming this category to app-hamradio, or
> > > possibly moving the amateur radio applications to app-hamradio if
> > > there are things in media-radio which are not amateur radio
> > > related.
> > >
> > I like the idea very much. But I am an radio amateur and therefore
> > I am a little bit biased . I was always confused to find them in
> > media-radio. If we do the move please count on me.
>
> I am an amateur radio operator as well, and that is why putting the
> ham radio apps in"media-radio" bothers me. Ham radio is not part of
> the media.
> > But to be honest there are some amateur (ham) radio related
> > packages in other categories too (e.g. app-misc/aldo - a cw morse
> > trainer, app-text/7plus - a packet radio text encoder, ..). So
> > maybe a general cleanup would be good.
> >
> > A quick count in media-radio gives 12 packages for amateur radio
> > and 2 others (the second one coming in just today). In sunrise
> > there are 11 amateur radio related packages and 0 others. That
> > means a move to app-hamradio would leave media-radio nearly empty.
>
> I would say that if the sunrise packages eventually get moved into
> portage, they should go in app-hamradio instead of media-radio, then
> maybe we could move the other ham radio packages over there, but then
> what would be the best choice for whatever is left in media-radio?

I wonder if there is a formal approach to add new categories to
the tree or rename existing ones?

Thomas