Old 07-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Matti Bickel

Default RFC: removal of virtual/php from depend.php

Hi,

in concert with bug 319623 the php team would like to remove virtual/php
from the depend.php eclass. This will change DEPEND and RDEPEND strings
for quite some packages.

The basic idea is:
virtual/php is only provided by dev-lang/php and has been for quite some
time now. There are no plans to split php again. So all ebuilds that
need a PHP installation should just depend on dev-lang/php.

For convenience we still provide virtual/httpd-php, which will give you
php and a webserver able to display your php sites.

So we're replacing virtual/php with dev-lang/php in depend.php.
Question is: do we need depend.php-r1 for this? Did I miss some
important point about the change?

Yes, this eclass requires EAPI=2 and I will not commit the change to
this eclass until every ebuild using it has migrated. If that's not
feasible, I'll use depend.php-r1.

Patch attached. Thanks to Ole Markus With, it's actually his work and
I'm just helping fleshing out ideas and directions here.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:54 AM
Doug Goldstein

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 5:09 PM, Matti Bickel <mabi@gentoo.org> wrote:
> So we're replacing virtual/php with dev-lang/php in depend.php.
> Question is: do we need depend.php-r1 for this? Did I miss some
> important point about the change?

Matt,

No you don't. You should be free to make the change.

--
Doug Goldstein