Old 07-09-2010, 05:19 PM
"Robin H. Johnson"

Default 'State of Gentoo' BoF session, Linux Symposium 2010.

Hi all,

I had hoped to send this before now, but the exact scheduled timeslot keeps
changing. It was already on the PR events calendar.

I'm running a BoF session during the Linux Symposium 2010 in Ottawa next week,
entitled 'State of Gentoo'.

http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2010/view_abstract.php?content_key=75
Extract:
=====
What's the present state of Gentoo Linux? $DISTRO is dying, long live $DISTRO.
What drives this perception of distribution status? Is it FUD, or is it a sign
of a larger problem?

This BoF will cover recent developments and activities in the Gentoo realm,
with a focus on the core distribution and services provided by the developers,
Gentoo Infrastructure as well as the technical and legal administrativa (Gentoo
Council and Gentoo Foundation).

Questions about progress on specific topics are warmly welcomed.
=====

Any other Gentoo users/developers attending?

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail : robbat2@gentoo.org

Old 07-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Friday, July 09, 2010 13:19:04 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> Any other Gentoo users/developers attending?

i guess i should
-mike

Old 07-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Philip Webb

100709 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> I'm running a BoF session during Linux Symposium 2010 in Ottawa next week,
> entitled 'State of Gentoo'.
> http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2010/view_abstract.php?content_key=75
> Questions about progress on specific topics are warmly welcomed.

Good to know something useful is happening in our capital this year (grin).

There is still a serious misperception out there among non-users
that Gentoo is about performance. This needs to be corrected:
I believe we all use it for the choice & control it offers.

Perhaps there's also a disadvantage in that Gentoo doesn't receive
the commercial publicity behind Ubuntu, Fedora & Suse,
nor does it have the ancient history of Slackware & Debian.

I continue to be as happy a user as I have always been since 2003 .

HTH

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 07-10-2010, 12:29 AM
Patrick Nagel

Hi,

On 2010-07-09 20:59 UTC Philip Webb wrote:
> 100709 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> > I'm running a BoF session during Linux Symposium 2010 in Ottawa next
> > week, entitled 'State of Gentoo'.
> > http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2010/view_abstract.php?content_key=75
> > Questions about progress on specific topics are warmly welcomed.
[...]
> There is still a serious misperception out there among non-users
> that Gentoo is about performance. This needs to be corrected:
> I believe we all use it for the choice & control it offers.
>
> Perhaps there's also a disadvantage in that Gentoo doesn't receive
> the commercial publicity behind Ubuntu, Fedora & Suse,
> nor does it have the ancient history of Slackware & Debian.
>
> I continue to be as happy a user as I have always been since 2003 .

Exactly my thoughts. *signed*

Patrick.

--
Key ID: 0x86E346D4 http://patrick-nagel.net/key.asc
Fingerprint: 7745 E1BE FA8B FBAD 76AB 2BFC C981 E686 86E3 46D4

Old 07-11-2010, 05:30 AM
Jacob Godserv

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 13:19, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I had hoped to send this before now, but the exact scheduled timeslot keeps
> changing. It was already on the PR events calendar.
>
> I'm running a BoF session during the Linux Symposium 2010 in Ottawa next week,
> entitled 'State of Gentoo'.

I've had my own uneducated ideas about this exact topic. I'd love to
hear more about this. Will notes or a recording be posted anywhere?

--
* * Jacob

* * "For then there will be great distress, unequaled
* * from the beginning of the world until now — and never
* * to be equaled again. If those days had not been cut
* * short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the
* * elect those days will be shortened."

* * Are you ready?

Old 07-11-2010, 06:42 AM
Joshua Saddler

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 01:30:08 -0400
Jacob Godserv <jacobgodserv@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 13:19, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > I'm running a BoF session during the Linux Symposium 2010 in Ottawa next
> > week, entitled 'State of Gentoo'.
>
> I've had my own uneducated ideas about this exact topic. I'd love to
> hear more about this. Will notes or a recording be posted anywhere?

Ideally in the underused Presentation Listing in the PR projspace:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/pr/docs/presentation-listing.xml

We can do the GuideXML for the list; just send us the file(s) and license(s) used so that we can host 'em on g.o.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:04 AM
"Robin H. Johnson"

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 01:30:08AM -0400, Jacob Godserv wrote:
> I've had my own uneducated ideas about this exact topic. I'd love to
> hear more about this. Will notes or a recording be posted anywhere?
I'm uncertain if there is going to be any official (FOSDEM-like)
recording of the BoF sessions, but I'll put up whatever slides and notes
I make.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail : robbat2@gentoo.org