Old 06-30-2010, 11:25 AM
Martin Sivak

Default Enhanced debugging of anaconda

Hi,

after Ales enabled the core dumps, I went a bit further and moved the coredump stuff to init, so we can get core files also when loader sigsegvs.

Moreover, when in this mode (which I called Development mode) init will also spawn a shell to make it possible to get all the logs and core files and transfer them to another machine. (mount, ls and cp are present in initrd)

With this patch, you can enable this behaviour by passing the 'devel' argument on the kernel boot prompt. Both shell and coredumps are disabled when not in this devel mode so it won't disrupt automatic tests.

What do you think?

--
Martin Sivak
msivak@redhat.com

Old 06-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Alexander Todorov

Martin Sivak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after Ales enabled the core dumps, I went a bit further and moved the coredump stuff to init, so we can get core files also when loader sigsegvs.
>
> Moreover, when in this mode (which I called Development mode) init will also spawn a shell to make it possible to get all the logs and core files and transfer them to another machine. (mount, ls and cp are present in initrd)

Hi Martin,
will the debugging shell start automatically or the user needs to add additional
cmd line arguments?

How much does it take to include scp as well?

Thanks,
Alexander.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:05 PM
Jon Masters

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 13:25 +0200, Martin Sivak wrote:

> Moreover, when in this mode (which I called Development mode) init
> will also spawn a shell to make it possible to get all the logs and
> core files and transfer them to another machine.

You could always hook this into a kexec/kdump cycle and automatically
kdump the machine on such a situation, and figure out a way to include
the anaconda logs.

Jon.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Martin Sivak

Why would we do that? When I have no shell and no running system, how would kdump help me? We could include the generated core file into the logs though.. somehow, because the file can get quite big..

--
Martin Sivák
msivak@redhat.com