Old 06-28-2010, 08:10 AM
Nirbheek Chauhan

Default Adding --as-needed to LDFLAGS in profiles/default/linux/make.defaults

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 06/28/2010 10:51 AM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
>> Will Gentoo be doing the same for -Ofast and its flags then? After all,
>> most packages work with them, and you can't let the few packages that
>> require standard-compliant behaviour from a compiler hold Gentoo
>> hostage.
>>

> This is not about optimizing but preventing clear breakage, the benefits
> of asneeded are not under debate here (like already stated in the
> original message this thread started from)
>
> So please stop trying to derail the thread

++, all of this has been discussed to *death*.

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team

Old 06-28-2010, 09:21 AM
Nirbheek Chauhan

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 1:47 PM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 06:39:44AM +0530, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
>>
>> What needs to be done now is for someone with lots of CPU power to
>> grab the list of packages[1], and build them one-by-one (all
>> versions), adding to a new list all the ebuilds that fail. How to
>> test:
>>
>> LDFLAGS="-Wl,--as-needed" emerge -v1 $atom
>>
>> Let's try to make Gentoo less frustrating for our users.
>>
>> 1. http://dev.gentoo.org/~nirbheek/files/as-needed-failures.list
>>
> I have the CPU power so I will start building those packages and report
> back here

Thanks! My hardware currently consists of one (1) netbook, so I can't
help much

I'll be keeping a list of packages which are known to fail only in
forced as-needed mode[1], as well as a list which is known to fail
with "normal" as-needed[2]

1. http://dev.gentoo.org/~nirbheek/files/as-needed-forced-only.list
2. http://dev.gentoo.org/~nirbheek/files/as-needed-normal.list

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team

Old 06-28-2010, 11:46 AM
David Leverton

On 28 June 2010 12:09, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net> wrote:
> [...]

The only one playing politics here is you. Adding --as-needed changes
the semantics of the toolchain so as to violate the relevant
standards. In some specific cases it might be OK or even beneficial,
but doing it by default is wrong by definition. This has been pointed
out ever since the issue was first discussed, but some people like to
stick their fingers in their ears and dismiss legitimate technical
arguments as "trolling" and "politics". If people seriously want to
improve the tone in Gentoo, then the first thing to fix is those who
like to demonise others out of spite for pointing out flaws in their
ideas.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Arun Raghavan

On 5 July 2010 18:31, Peter Hjalmarsson <xake@rymdraket.net> wrote:
[...]
> 1. (A t-shirt saying 2 + 2 = 5. For this joke to work you have to know
> how to round numbers, and that 2 can be rounded from everything between
> 1,5 and 2,4, and that 4,8 rounds to 5. And it is still correct math.)

Just to take this threat as far off-topic as I can,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2_%2B_2_%3D_5

Cheers,
--
Arun Raghavan
http://arunraghavan.net/

Old 07-05-2010, 02:25 PM
David Leverton

On 5 July 2010 14:01, Peter Hjalmarsson <xake@rymdraket.net> wrote:
> 1. (A t-shirt saying 2 + 2 = 5. For this joke to work you have to know
> how to round numbers, and that 2 can be rounded from everything between
> 1,5 and 2,4, and that 4,8 rounds to 5. And it is still correct math.)

You said yourself that it's a joke, and yet somehow you don't seem to
understand what that means....