Old 06-29-2010, 05:25 PM
David Leverton

Default Adding --as-needed to LDFLAGS in profiles/default/linux/make.defaults

On Tuesday 29 June 2010 09:46:52 Alex Alexander wrote:
> If the community feels their choice, albeit not perfect, will help the
> project, you have to respect that. That is, if you want to be part of the
> community

I see your point to some extent, but the concern is that such decisions might
sometimes get made according to who's best at ignoring technical objections
rather than what's the best thing to do. It has happened before, although in
that case the change was made first, and then when the issue was brought up
it got basically ignored for so long that it would be pointless to fix. It
would be worrying if things like that started to happen more often.

In any case, as mentioned in my other mail, if this particular change is done
in a way that's optional for the user, I personally won't be /too/ upset if
the rest of you want to do unspeakable things to your systems ;-).

Old 06-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Alex Alexander

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 06:25:50PM +0100, David Leverton wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 June 2010 09:46:52 Alex Alexander wrote:
> > If the community feels their choice, albeit not perfect, will help the
> > project, you have to respect that. That is, if you want to be part of the
> > community
>
> I see your point to some extent, but the concern is that such decisions might
> sometimes get made according to who's best at ignoring technical objections
> rather than what's the best thing to do. It has happened before, although in
> that case the change was made first, and then when the issue was brought up
> it got basically ignored for so long that it would be pointless to fix. It
> would be worrying if things like that started to happen more often.

I understand your concern. But this is no such case. We went through the
discussion phase already. We're trying to avoid an endless loop.

> In any case, as mentioned in my other mail, if this particular change is done
> in a way that's optional for the user, I personally won't be /too/ upset if
> the rest of you want to do unspeakable things to your systems ;-).

This thread is about LDFLAGS+="--as-needed" in make.defaults,
which can be overridden, so I don't see any issues there either.
You're free to change the defaults if you don't like them

--
Alex Alexander :: wired
Gentoo Developer

Old 07-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Peter Hjalmarsson

mån 2010-06-28 klockan 15:05 +0100 skrev Ciaran McCreesh:
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 14:59:21 +0100
> Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > All of engineering involves compromise.
>
> It's not a question of compromise. It's a question of being right vs
> being wrong. If one person says that 2 + 2 = 4 and a loud mob screams
> that their prophet revealed to them in a blog post that 2 + 2 = 6, you
> don't compromise and say that 2 + 2 = 5.

Sorry for being late to the party, but:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/unisex/generic/60f5/ [1]

Nothing is EVER black or white. Not even the physical ones and zeros in
your computer are. That is why we have politics. To make compromises
which tells us what we should parse as a one or a zero.

1. (A t-shirt saying 2 + 2 = 5. For this joke to work you have to know
how to round numbers, and that 2 can be rounded from everything between
1,5 and 2,4, and that 4,8 rounds to 5. And it is still correct math.)