Old 06-25-2010, 08:17 PM
Enrico Weigelt

Default FYI: Rules for distro-friendly packages

Hi folks,

I'm currently collecting a set of rules which upstream developers
should follow to make distro maintainer's life easier.

Comments welcomed

cu
http://patches.metux.de/

Old 06-25-2010, 08:28 PM
Alistair Bush

> Hi folks,
>

> I'm currently collecting a set of rules which upstream developers
> should follow to make distro maintainer's life easier.
>
> Comments welcomed

Is this language specific? would you be interested in comments about java,
ruby, python, etc, etc, etc or are you only interested in good old C/C++, etc

Old 06-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Krzysztof Pawlik

On 06/25/10 21:17, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> I'm currently collecting a set of rules which upstream developers
> should follow to make distro maintainer's life easier.
>
> Comments welcomed

Take a look at this page:
http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/java/wiki/How_to_be_a_good_upstream - it is Java
specific mostly, but some general points can be reused

--
Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael at gentoo.org> key id: 0xF6A80E46
desktop-misc, java, apache, ppc, vim, kernel, python...

Old 06-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Friday 25 June 2010 22:17:39 Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> Hi folks,
>

> I'm currently collecting a set of rules which upstream developers
> should follow to make distro maintainer's life easier.
>
> Comments welcomed

My biggest beef by far when packaging apps is automagic dependencies.

e17 is full of them - if package A is present, the app will configure itself
to use it. Usually you cannot switch this kind of thing off even if you have
valid reasons to do so.

I want explicit --enable-<package> features in the ./configure step for
everything that might be optional. Because I often do have that lib on my
system and the app's usage of it is buggy, so I should be able to disable that
support.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 06-25-2010, 09:57 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Freitag 25 Juni 2010, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> Hi folks,
>

> I'm currently collecting a set of rules which upstream developers
> should follow to make distro maintainer's life easier.
>
> Comments welcomed
>

> cu

no bundled libs.

when you change the tarball fucking change the version number.

and what Alan said.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:14 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Friday 25 June 2010 23:57:54 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Freitag 25 Juni 2010, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >

> > I'm currently collecting a set of rules which upstream developers
> > should follow to make distro maintainer's life easier.
> >
> > Comments welcomed
> >

> > cu
>
> no bundled libs.
>
> when you change the tarball fucking change the version number.

I forgot that one. Sun are INFAMOUS for that with the jdk..

> and what Alan said.

Some more:

Don't depend on some arb version number of libs. Nothing worse than being
forced to use some lib 4 versions behind current when current actually works
just fine

Test your code under realistic conditions. Unit tests exist for a reason, read
'em

Read flameeyes's blog. You might not agree with everything he says, but
consider it all carefully as a technical position. He makes good points.

Don't try and re-invent the wheel with sucky roll-your-own build systems.
auto* sucks, but by and large they suck less than anything you can come up
with considering your more limited resources.

No hardcoded locations. If I want to install to /opt/csw/package/, then I
should be able to do it, it makes zero difference to upstream if I do

The entire package under the same license if possible. This doesn't always
work out - a GPL package may include someone else's BSD code who is not
willing to re-license it. So be it. But please do make an effort to get
everything under the same license, it makes decisions so much easier for your
users to make.

Maintain the README, NEWS, INSTALL, ChangeLog, etc. We users actually do read
them, and up to date metadata gives us a warm fuzzy where we feel good about
your code

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 06-25-2010, 10:24 PM
Petteri Räty

On 06/25/2010 11:17 PM, Enrico Weigelt wrote:

> Hi folks,
>

> I'm currently collecting a set of rules which upstream developers
> should follow to make distro maintainer's life easier.
>
> Comments welcomed

There should be useful stuff here:
http://video.fosdem.org/2010/devrooms/distributions/How_to_be_a_good_upstream.ogv

Regards,
Petteri

Old 06-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Enrico Weigelt

* Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael@gentoo.org> schrieb:

> Take a look at this page:
> http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/java/wiki/How_to_be_a_good_upstream - it is Java
> specific mostly, but some general points can be reused

Hmm, this document suggests something, I just forgot to prohibit:

"Release the source archives along with whatever binary archives you may have."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

cu
http://patches.metux.de/

Old 06-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Enrico Weigelt

* Alistair Bush <ali_bush@gentoo.org> schrieb:

> Is this language specific?

I'll try to separate it into generic and language specific
rules step by step (same for various build systems, etc).

> would you be interested in comments about java, ruby, python,
> etc, etc, etc or are you only interested in good old C/C++, etc

Just give me everything you've got

cu
http://patches.metux.de/