Old 06-24-2010, 05:31 AM
"Paweł Hajdan, Jr."

Default council manifesto for ferringb

On 6/24/10 3:42 AM, Brian Harring wrote:
> Simplest example, I want the git migration plan finished- since robin
> was overloaded and no one was doing it, I chipped in the work I could
> do (optimization of the conversion so it wasn't a full day outage).

I respect your work on this, and really hope the git migration will go
just great. However, I'm wondering why we're delaying the migration to
minimize the outage instead of doing the migration earlier?

I'd rather have git soon with longer, but acceptable outage, than in the
future, with a very small outage. On the other hand, I'm not familiar
with the technical side and possibly other reasons that may prevent us
from "closing the tree" for a long period of time.

Paweł

Old 06-24-2010, 05:56 AM
Jeroen Roovers

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 07:31:07 +0200
"Paweł Hajdan, Jr." <phajdan.jr@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I'd rather have git soon with longer, but acceptable outage, than in
> the future, with a very small outage.

I'd like some documentation to be finished before the switch is made. I
have no idea how to commit patches using git yet, let alone how to
change my workflow or how sources.g.o is going to display these or
how packages.g.o is going to be adapted for git use. I could go on.

jer

Old 06-24-2010, 07:27 AM
Domen Kožar

Clear reference for usnig git http://gitref.org/

Old 06-24-2010, 07:57 AM
"Robin H. Johnson"

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 07:56:12AM +0200, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 07:31:07 +0200
> "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." <phajdan.jr@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > I'd rather have git soon with longer, but acceptable outage, than in
> > the future, with a very small outage.
>
> I'd like some documentation to be finished before the switch is made. I
> have no idea how to commit patches using git yet, let alone how to
> change my workflow or

> how sources.g.o is going to display these
gitweb or cgit.

> how packages.g.o is going to be adapted for git use.
packages.g.o is completely VCS agnostic. It gets data from rsync on the
same update.

Lists like the above do have value in making sure that all the bases are
covered.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail : robbat2@gentoo.org