Old 06-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Arun Raghavan

Default New global USE flag: introspection

Hi folks,
I'd like to propose a new global USE-flag: introspection.

The purpose of the flag is to enable the building of GIR for the
package using dev-libs/gobject-introspection. gobject-introspection is
going to be quite important in upcoming GNOME releases, allowing for
the automated generation of bindings for several languages.

We already have 13 packages using this flag, with several more to
come. The current description being used in packages' metadata.xml
sucks - I'll put something more descriptive in the final flag.

Any objections? I'll wait till Wed (June 23rd) before adding this if
there aren't any.

Cheers!
--
Arun Raghavan
http://arunraghavan.net/

Old 06-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Pacho Ramos

El dom, 20-06-2010 a las 20:12 +0530, Arun Raghavan escribió:
> Hi folks,
> I'd like to propose a new global USE-flag: introspection.
>
> The purpose of the flag is to enable the building of GIR for the
> package using dev-libs/gobject-introspection. gobject-introspection is
> going to be quite important in upcoming GNOME releases, allowing for
> the automated generation of bindings for several languages.
>
> We already have 13 packages using this flag, with several more to
> come. The current description being used in packages' metadata.xml
> sucks - I'll put something more descriptive in the final flag.
>
> Any objections? I'll wait till Wed (June 23rd) before adding this if
> there aren't any.
>
> Cheers!

I agree with having it as a new global USE-flag, but I am unsure about
enabling it by default just now, since some automagic dependency
problems appeared some time ago :-/, but I will leave this decision to
other Gnome team members as I don't know much about introspection and
maybe these issues got fixed already

Best regards

Old 06-20-2010, 08:14 PM
Olivier Crête

On Sun, 2010-06-20 at 20:12 +0530, Arun Raghavan wrote:
> I'd like to propose a new global USE-flag: introspection.
> Any objections? I'll wait till Wed (June 23rd) before adding this if
> there aren't any.

Do we really want it to be a USE flag ? I would force it on always for
everyone. Due to the direction in which GNOME is heading, it will be
required by the core desktop anyway.

--
Olivier Crête
tester@gentoo.org

Old 06-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Nirbheek Chauhan

2010/6/21 Olivier Crête <tester@gentoo.org>:
> On Sun, 2010-06-20 at 20:12 +0530, Arun Raghavan wrote:
>> I'd like to propose a new global USE-flag: introspection.
>> Any objections? I'll wait till Wed (June 23rd) before adding this if
>> there aren't any.
>
> Do we really want it to be a USE flag ? I would force it on always for
> everyone. Due to the direction in which GNOME is heading, it will be
> required by the core desktop anyway.

On the other hand, it's not just GNOME-3 which uses gtk+, atk, pango,
etc. A lot of the libraries that we package are going to be used
outside GNOME, and I really don't see why we should force this stuff
onto them when we don't absolutely have to.

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team

Old 06-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Nirbheek Chauhan

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 1:07 AM, Pacho Ramos <pacho@gentoo.org> wrote:
> El dom, 20-06-2010 a las 20:12 +0530, Arun Raghavan escribió:
>> Hi folks,
>> I'd like to propose a new global USE-flag: introspection.
[snip]
>> Any objections? I'll wait till Wed (June 23rd) before adding this if
>> there aren't any.
>>
>> Cheers!
>
> I agree with having it as a new global USE-flag, but I am unsure about
> enabling it by default just now, since some automagic dependency
> problems appeared some time ago :-/, but I will leave this decision to
> other Gnome team members as I don't know much about introspection and
> maybe these issues got fixed already

The automagic dependency problems have all been fixed as far as I
know. Any new problems should be reported, and they will be fixed.

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team

Old 06-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Pacho Ramos

El lun, 21-06-2010 a las 03:05 +0530, Nirbheek Chauhan escribió:
> > I agree with having it as a new global USE-flag, but I am unsure about
> > enabling it by default just now, since some automagic dependency
> > problems appeared some time ago :-/, but I will leave this decision to
> > other Gnome team members as I don't know much about introspection and
> > maybe these issues got fixed already
> >

> The automagic dependency problems have all been fixed as far as I
> know. Any new problems should be reported, and they will be fixed.

Great to know! :-D

Old 06-20-2010, 10:55 PM
Brian Harring

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 04:14:16PM -0400, Olivier Crrrte wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-06-20 at 20:12 +0530, Arun Raghavan wrote:
> > I'd like to propose a new global USE-flag: introspection.
> > Any objections? I'll wait till Wed (June 23rd) before adding this if
> > there aren't any.
>
> Do we really want it to be a USE flag ? I would force it on always for
> everyone. Due to the direction in which GNOME is heading, it will be
> required by the core desktop anyway.

Use deps exist for situations like this

Beyond that, the naming kind of sucks from where I'm sitting- it's a
gobject/gnome specific flag in intention, but introspection has many
meanings elsewhere that may not map cleanly there.

Anyone got a better name for it?
~harring

Old 06-20-2010, 11:33 PM
Nirbheek Chauhan

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 4:25 AM, Brian Harring <ferringb@gmail.com> wrote:
> Beyond that, the naming kind of sucks from where I'm sitting- it's a
> gobject/gnome specific flag in intention, but introspection has many
> meanings elsewhere that may not map cleanly there.

Well, there's nothing else in this namespace (i.e., amongst use-flags)
which uses this word, and I don't see anything else that would want to
use it in-tree. So, I don't see what the problem is with us taking
over it

As for confusions w.r.t. name, the use-flag descriptions exist
precisely to clarify that. I personally wouldn't assume a use-flag's
intention before seeing it's corresponding description.

Also note that perl/ruby/python/java/javascript etc bindings will
be/are using gobject-introspection[1], so this particular usage of the
term will become very prevalent in the near future.

1. http://live.gnome.org/GObjectIntrospection/Users
--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team

Old 06-21-2010, 04:43 AM
Arun Raghavan

2010/6/21 Olivier Crête <tester@gentoo.org>:
> On Sun, 2010-06-20 at 20:12 +0530, Arun Raghavan wrote:
>> I'd like to propose a new global USE-flag: introspection.
>> Any objections? I'll wait till Wed (June 23rd) before adding this if
>> there aren't any.
>
> Do we really want it to be a USE flag ? I would force it on always for
> everyone. Due to the direction in which GNOME is heading, it will be
> required by the core desktop anyway.

In addition to what Nirbheek pointed out, I think a USE flag would be
useful for embedded setups where you might only want introspection for
a subset of libraries.

I do agree with you about it being part of the core desktop and
required by most users, so it will be enabled by default for all
ebuilds.

Cheers,

Old 06-21-2010, 04:44 AM
Arun Raghavan

On 20 June 2010 20:12, Arun Raghavan <ford_prefect@gentoo.org> wrote:
[...]
> We already have 13 packages using this flag, with several more to
> come. The current description being used in packages' metadata.xml
> sucks - I'll put something more descriptive in the final flag.

Here's the description I'm planning to add:

introspection: Add gobject-introspection support, allowing for the
dynamic generation of bindings for various languages

Cheers,