Old 06-07-2010, 05:53 AM
Alec Warner

Default Actions of python team, especially Arfrever wrt python eclass and python-3*

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 6:54 AM, Thomas Sachau <tommy@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Am 06.06.2010 15:44, schrieb Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis:
>> 2010-06-06 12:40:28 Thomas Sachau napisaƂ(a):
>>> Additionally, it should define the supported slots, something like this:
>>>
>>> SUPPORTED_RUBY_SLOTS="1.8 1.9" or
>>> SUPPORTED_PYTHON_SLOTS="2.5 2.6 3.0 3.1"
>>>
>>> Now the package manager should take those vars and convert them to some expanded USE vars like:
>>>
>>> RUBY_SLOTS="1.8 1.9" or
>>> PYTHON_SLOTS="2.5 2.6 3.0 3.1"
>>
>> We are already working on automatic generation of USE flags in python.eclass (in newer EAPIs).
>>

> And why do you want to implement such code in every eclass?
>
> Whats wrong with implementing it on the package manager side once and reusing it for every
> eclass/ebuild, which needs such code?

I don't think arfrever thinks there is anything wrong. The main
problem with implementing things in a package manager is time. Why
have a big long discussion about something that takes years to agree
on, implement, and then get into an approved stable EAPI when you can
just stick things in your eclass and use them in a few weeks / months
(this can be read as a mockery of what was done; I'm not mocking.
Moving quickly is important in many cases and iteration of ideas and
schemes are good.)

I'm all for generalizing the current implementation where it makes
sense; but I'm kinda tired of people bashing it because its not
perfect; I don't think we can necessarily wait for 'perfectly
designed' things every time (no matter what many implementors think.)

-A