FEATURES="test-fail-continue", vbulletin,jelsoft,forum,bbs,discussion,bulletin board" /> FEATURES="test-fail-continue" Gentoo Development" /> RFC: changing the developer profile: FEATURES="test" -> FEATURES="test-fail-continue" - Linux Archive

Old 06-04-2010, 03:35 PM
"Jesus Rivero (Neurogeek)"

Default RFC: changing the developer profile: FEATURES="test" -> FEATURES="test-fail-continue"

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 10:41 AM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr."
<phajdan.jr@gentoo.org> wrote:
> What do you think about doing the following change in
> /usr/portage/profiles/targets/developer/make.defaults:
>
> replace "test" with "test-fail-continue" to make it just less
> frustrating (we still have a lot of test failures)

I've been thinking about this for a while. Some packages have tests
that are meant only for upstream in certain conditions
and are not meant to be ran during installing. As we have ARCH teams,
couldn't we think a way in which TEST teams can
be created? I mean, a bunch of devs only focused on making tests work
or just restrict them?

This team (or a Gentoo project) can work hand by hand with other teams
and ARCH members.

Is it even possible?

> Hopefully that will also make more of us use the developer profile, and
> detect test failures.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Paweł

Best regards,

--
Jesus Rivero (Neurogeek)

Old 06-04-2010, 03:50 PM
"Paweł Hajdan, Jr."

On 6/4/10 5:35 PM, Jesus Rivero (Neurogeek) wrote:
> I've been thinking about this for a while. Some packages have tests
> that are meant only for upstream in certain conditions
> and are not meant to be ran during installing.

I think that in extreme cases src_test should not call such tests.

> As we have ARCH teams,
> couldn't we think a way in which TEST teams can
> be created? I mean, a bunch of devs only focused on making tests work
> or just restrict them?

I don't think that would be effective. Making the tests work is hard,
especially for packages like gcc, or python. Having FEATURES="test" is
intended to make developers catch these failures before checking in.

However, with many packages failing tests, people started running
FEATURES="-test" or just stopped (or never used) the developer profile.
With FEATURES="test test-fail-continue" we should get best of both
worlds: run tests always, but don't frustrate people by making build
fail "in the middle of long emerge".

Paweł