Old 06-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Markos Chandras

Default Notify people about empty herds (Was: FTR: media-optical@g.o has no developers)

And maybe it would be a wise move to merge/remove some herds because ,as I see, the number of herds is equal ( or even higher ) to the number of developers.

2010/6/3 Pacho Ramos <pacho@gentoo.org>

El jue, 03-06-2010 a las 13:36 +0300, Samuli Suominen escribiˇ:

> For the record, media-optical herd is currently without any devs and

> also the mail alias in d.g.o is empty so nobody is really reading the

> bugmail.

> In case you want to join it...

> - Samuli

Would be possible to modify script that generates

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/metastructure/herds/herds.xml to list

empty herds on a different section at the top of the webpage for

detecting herds without people easier?

Even better would be to also provide information about "devway"

developers, indicating something like, for example:

41. *gnome

- Description

GNOME Desktop and related packages

- Herd maintainers' email address

gnome@gentoo.org

- Maintainers

pacho@gentoo.org (Pacho Ramos) (Devway)

But I am not sure if it would be possible :-/

Also, maybe we should consider change the assignment for bugs assigned

to empty herds, assigning them to maintainers-needed and CCing affected

herd, that way, once somebody revives the herd, he could simply revert

the assign to the old way and, until then, people reviewing

maintainers-needed bugs would also notice that bug reports.

Thanks a lot

Old 06-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Markos Chandras

all the gnome-* herds look obsolete to me. It should be like kde and use only one alias. Further more the comm-fax could be merged with a net-* alias, and all the desktop-* could be merged in one herd. ┬*The dev-embedded could be merged with embedded, ┬*kernel can merge with kernel-misc. Plus I am sure that we can perform a clean up/merge on net-* herds. Same rule for sci-*. Having 150 herds for 300 *listed* devs doesn't seem optimal

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 5:28 PM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." <phajdan.jr@gentoo.org> wrote:

On 6/3/10 3:32 PM, Markos Chandras wrote:

> And maybe it would be a wise move to merge/remove some herds because ,as I

> see, the number of herds is equal ( or even higher ) to the number of

> developers.

Here are some more empty herds:

1) kerberos herd is empty

2) secure-tunnelling is empty

3) utf8 is empty and looks like a candidate for removal

As for other herds, I don't see anything obviously wrong. It seems fine

and useful to have a generic alias even if there is only one developer

in a herd.

Paweł

Old 06-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Markos Chandras