Old 05-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Gilles Dartiguelongue

Default About libpng-1.4 handling

Hello guys,

as I'm sure some of you already experimented, the libpng upgrade didn't
exactly went smoothly on my chroots. Reason seems to be that libpng
usage is odd, it provides both libpng14.* and libpng.* files. Some
packages likes to use versioned libs while some other don't and it seems
to lead to giant mess in *.la files (for example).

My question are:
* is there a draft news item as a simple revdep-rebuild or portage
preserved-libs feature doesn't cut it (for good reasons) that I could
test ?
* what is the recommended way to link to libpng (versioned lib or not)
* corollary to previous question, should we enforce link to versioned
lib only ?

--
Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@gentoo.org>
Gentoo

Old 05-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Samuli Suominen

On 05/10/2010 08:11 PM, Gilles Dartiguelongue wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> as I'm sure some of you already experimented, the libpng upgrade didn't
> exactly went smoothly on my chroots. Reason seems to be that libpng
> usage is odd, it provides both libpng14.* and libpng.* files. Some
> packages likes to use versioned libs while some other don't and it seems
> to lead to giant mess in *.la files (for example).

Should we advise users to do something like:

find /usr/lib -name '*.la' | xargs sed -i -e '/^dep/s:-lpng12:-lpng14:'

( Replace lib with lib64 on multilib system. )

> My question are:
> * is there a draft news item as a simple revdep-rebuild or portage
> preserved-libs feature doesn't cut it (for good reasons) that I could
> test ?

-lpng12 vs. -lpng14 I guess, or then my big blockers in libpng ebuilds
messed it up... those will go away soon, if arch's are fast enough with
helping with the stable bug.

> * what is the recommended way to link to libpng (versioned lib or not)
> * corollary to previous question, should we enforce link to versioned
> lib only ?

You get correct lib to link from `pkg-config --libs libpng` or if you
need to avoid pkg-config, then e.g. AC_CHECK_LIB for unversioned png.

Funny enough,

I've also seen this done: libpng14 libpng12 libpng13 libpng

In Cairo's configure.

libpng13 for windows foo
libpng for bsd foo
libpng12 and 14 for linux foo

bleh

Old 05-10-2010, 05:34 PM
"Paweł Hajdan, Jr."

On 5/10/10 7:27 PM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
> Should we advise users to do something like:
>
> find /usr/lib -name '*.la' | xargs sed -i -e '/^dep/s:-lpng12:-lpng14:'

lafilefixer --justfixit is easier to remember. Does it work equally well?

Paweł

Old 05-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Samuli Suominen

On 05/10/2010 08:34 PM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
> On 5/10/10 7:27 PM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
>> Should we advise users to do something like:
>>
>> find /usr/lib -name '*.la' | xargs sed -i -e '/^dep/s:-lpng12:-lpng14:'
>
> lafilefixer --justfixit is easier to remember. Does it work equally well?
>
> Paweł

Last I tried, ... lafilefixer couldn't handle libpng migration

Old 05-10-2010, 05:50 PM
"Paweł Hajdan, Jr."

On 5/10/10 7:42 PM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
> On 05/10/2010 08:34 PM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
>> On 5/10/10 7:27 PM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
>>> Should we advise users to do something like:
>>>
>>> find /usr/lib -name '*.la' | xargs sed -i -e '/^dep/s:-lpng12:-lpng14:'
>>
>> lafilefixer --justfixit is easier to remember. Does it work equally well?
> Last I tried, ... lafilefixer couldn't handle libpng migration

But it's Gentoo's script, right? How about just adding the command you
posted to lafilefixer?

Some people are used to think of Gentoo as the distro where things break
once a week. I don't think that, but I can easily imagine how having to
run a different command on each upgrade is frustrating people.

On the other hand, when we can ensure that emerge -uDNa world,
revdep-rebuild, dispatch-conf and lafilefixer result in a working system
without additional work, that makes updates more predictable.

Paweł

Old 05-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Monday 10 May 2010 13:27:48 Samuli Suominen wrote:
> On 05/10/2010 08:11 PM, Gilles Dartiguelongue wrote:
> > * what is the recommended way to link to libpng (versioned lib or not)
> > * corollary to previous question, should we enforce link to versioned
> > lib only ?
>
> You get correct lib to link from `pkg-config --libs libpng` or if you
> need to avoid pkg-config, then e.g. AC_CHECK_LIB for unversioned png.

i dont think we should attempt to enforce versioned linking. i imagine it
would require quite a lot of package thrashing and would make use non-standard
with everyone else. we're going to need some solution that doesnt break
runtime SONAMEs when we stabilize; preferably way before that.
-mike

Old 05-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Markos Chandras

On Monday 10 May 2010 20:22:28 Peng Hsin-shun wrote:
> Mask it. It's too new to adapt.
>
> 2010/5/11 Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@gentoo.org>
>
> > Hello guys,
> >
> > as I'm sure some of you already experimented, the libpng upgrade didn't
> > exactly went smoothly on my chroots. Reason seems to be that libpng
> > usage is odd, it provides both libpng14.* and libpng.* files. Some
> > packages likes to use versioned libs while some other don't and it seems
> > to lead to giant mess in *.la files (for example).
> >
> > My question are:
> > * is there a draft news item as a simple revdep-rebuild or portage
> >
> > preserved-libs feature doesn't cut it (for good reasons) that I could
> > test ?
> >
> > * what is the recommended way to link to libpng (versioned lib or not)
> > * corollary to previous question, should we enforce link to versioned
> >
> > lib only ?
> >
> > --
> > Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@gentoo.org>
> > Gentoo
Masking it is not an option anymore since the majority of ~arch systems are
already using libpng-1.4. If you mask it you will create a confusion and you
will have to rebuild the same packages again.

--
Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
Gentoo Linux Developer

Old 05-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Samuli Suominen

On 05/10/2010 10:52 PM, Markos Chandras wrote:
> On Monday 10 May 2010 20:22:28 Peng Hsin-shun wrote:
>> Mask it. It's too new to adapt.

Gentoo's ~arch is now fully migrated to libpng-1.4. So is Arch Linux,
btw. After releasing it in ~arch, we got some 3 valid bugs I've
immediately fixed, total bugcount is 0.

We moved on, now let's live with it

Old 05-10-2010, 10:41 PM
Gilles Dartiguelongue

lafilefixer is not the right tool for this. At least it's current scope
is to replace usage of la files in la files, not to replace occurences
of one lib with another. Plus the problem of lafilefixer not changing
the hash of the installed files to match the one recorded in vdb is not
solved so I'd rather have clear instructions on how to rebuild the
minimum amount of packages if possible.

I've seen something like emerge -1av $(egrep "libpng12.la" /usr/lib/*.la
| qfile --someoption) which just as with xorg/libxcb migration should do
just fine.