Old 05-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Christopher Harvey

Default rc-update interface

I ran cat /sbin/rc-update and the script is copyright gentoo foundation,
so I'm asking here if there is a programmatic interface to the script.
I'd rather avoid parsing ascii to try to interpret the rc-update state.
(This is for work on ventoo for gsoc)
Thanks.

--
My GnuPGP key at:
www.basementcode.com/public_key.txt

Old 05-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Petteri Räty

On 05/09/2010 01:22 PM, Christopher Harvey wrote:
> I ran cat /sbin/rc-update and the script is copyright gentoo foundation,
> so I'm asking here if there is a programmatic interface to the script.
> I'd rather avoid parsing ascii to try to interpret the rc-update state.
> (This is for work on ventoo for gsoc)
> Thanks.

Take a look at what openrc offers. In general when developing things you
should be looking at the status in ~arch instead of stable. In operc
rc-update is binary:

$ file /sbin/rc-update
/sbin/rc-update: symbolic link to `rc'

$ file /sbin/rc
/sbin/rc: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV),
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, stripped

Regards,
Petteri

Old 05-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Sunday 09 May 2010 06:22:55 Christopher Harvey wrote:
> I ran cat /sbin/rc-update and the script is copyright gentoo foundation,
> so I'm asking here if there is a programmatic interface to the script.
> I'd rather avoid parsing ascii to try to interpret the rc-update state.

there is no library or hooks for things. openrc's output can be made terse
for parsing, but if you need something more, file a bug report describing your
needs and goals.
-mike