Old 04-21-2010, 02:52 AM
Jeremy Olexa

Default RFC: Disabling some of our Mail Lists

Hello,
As suggested in bug 291860, I am heading up an infra cleanup project to
disable/close some mailing lists. Since the list is quite large, I want
to send it out for RFC. A few of the important reasons to disable some
of our mail lists are:

* Confusing to users because there are so many lists that aren't being
used. How should you know which one is active without more research?

* More lists means more managing, more spam attempts and infra overhead.

I want to emphasize that the lists will be closed for new posts but the
archives will remain available. Disabled lists can be re-enabled by
filing an infra-bugs request. My suggestions to disable are as follows:

gentoo-doc-lt
Reason: Only 1 post, late 2008

gentoo-extreme-security
Reason: Never was a real project, 1 post.

gentoo-doc-id
Reason: Only posts have been 2 spam messages.

gentoo-forum-translations
Reason: 2 posts, 2007.

gentoo-translators
Reason: 3 posts, all spam. 2008

gentoo-arm
Reason: 4 posts total, last 2006. ACKd with team.

gentoo-gwn-fr
Reason: GWN is not active.

gentoo-gwn-pl
Reason: GWN is not active.

gentoo-dev-lang
Reason: 7 posts total, last 2007

gentoo-ia64
Reason: Not active. last 2006

tenshi-announce
Reason: Not used, current release is .11, last used for .4 2006

gentoo-scire
Reason: Dead, last 2008

tenshi-user
Reason: Not used, last 2006

gentoo-media
Reason: Besides spam, last used 2006

gentoo-proctors
Reason: Not used since 2007. 14 message total. ACKd with team.

gentoo-gwn-nl
Reason: GWN is not alive.

gentoo-doc-hu
Reason: Last project commit: 3 years ago, last ML 2007

gentoo-user-kr
Reason: Rarely used, last late 2009 with no reply

gentoo-doc-nl
Reason: last 2007

gentoo-gnustep
Reason: Keep but questionable. Probably be closed during next cleanup

gentoo-xbox
Reason: Dead project

gentoo-cygwin
Reason: Dead Project, last 2008

gentoo-gwn-de
Reason: GWN is not alive.

gnap-dev
Reason: Dead Project, some life recent but..?

www-redesign
Reason: Dead Project

gentoo-gwn
Reason: Dead project

gentoo-installer
Reason: Dead project

gentoo-performance
Reason: Not active, recent spam

gentoo-osx
Reason: Dead project

Old 04-21-2010, 04:59 AM
Vincent Launchbury

On 04/20/10 22:52, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
> Hello,
> As suggested in bug 291860, I am heading up an infra cleanup project to
> disable/close some mailing lists. Since the list is quite large, I want
> to send it out for RFC.

Going by archives.gentoo.org stats, the following lists are also
inactive, and are all listed as 'Primary Gentoo Mailing Lists' at
www.gentoo.org/main/en/lists.xml

If there's a reason to keep any of them, perhaps they should be split
off to a 'Low-traffic Lists' section, as I can't see them being of much
use to most people.

gentoo-ppc-dev
2010 - 0 posts
2009 - 4 posts
2008 - 9 posts
2007 - 15 posts
gentoo-hppa
2010 - 0 posts
2009 - 0 posts
2008 - 1 post
2007 - 12 posts
gentoo-desktop-research
2010 - 0 posts
2009 - 0 posts
2008 - 3 posts
2007 - 12 posts
gentoo-admin
2010 - 0 posts
2009 - 8 posts
2008 - 3 posts
2007 - 3 posts
gentoo-web-user
2010 - 4 posts
2009 - 0 posts
2008 - 10 posts
2007 - 10 posts
gentoo-devrel
2010 - 0 posts
2009 - 1 post
2008 - 2 posts
2007 - 8 posts
gentoo-uk
2010 - 0 posts
2009 - 0 posts
2008 - 16 posts
2007 - 6 posts
gentoo-au
2010 - 0 posts
2009 - 0 posts
2008 - 28 posts
2007 - 24 posts
gentoo-vdr
2010 - 0 posts
2009 - 3 posts
2008 - 8 posts
2007 - 28 posts

Old 04-21-2010, 11:28 AM
"Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto"

Old 04-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Markos Chandras

On Wednesday 21 April 2010 14:28:13 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
> - gpg control packet
>
> On 21-04-2010 04:59, Vincent Launchbury wrote:
> > On 04/20/10 22:52, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >> As suggested in bug 291860, I am heading up an infra cleanup project to
> >> disable/close some mailing lists. Since the list is quite large, I want
> >> to send it out for RFC.
> >
> > Going by archives.gentoo.org stats, the following lists are also
> > inactive, and are all listed as 'Primary Gentoo Mailing Lists' at
> > www.gentoo.org/main/en/lists.xml
> >
> > If there's a reason to keep any of them, perhaps they should be split
> > off to a 'Low-traffic Lists' section, as I can't see them being of much
> > use to most people.
> >
> > gentoo-devrel
> >
> > 2010 - 0 posts
> > 2009 - 1 post
> > 2008 - 2 posts
> > 2007 - 8 posts
>
> IIRC, this list was created to promote a way for developers to discuss
> Developer Relations policies.
> Even though this is likely to be most of the time a low traffic list, I
> think it still has merit - unless we chose to promote such discussions
> on a different "forum".
Yes but we ( as developers ) tend to handle devrel bugs in a different way.
That is open bugs and assign it to devrel. INHO this mailing list is useless
--
Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
Gentoo Linux Developer

Old 04-23-2010, 05:15 AM
Jeroen Roovers

> > IIRC, this list was created to promote a way for developers to
> > discuss Developer Relations policies.
> > Even though this is likely to be most of the time a low traffic
> > list, I think it still has merit - unless we chose to promote such
> > discussions on a different "forum".
> Yes but we ( as developers ) tend to handle devrel bugs in a
> different way. That is open bugs and assign it to devrel. INHO this
> mailing list is useless

Those bugs are assigned to an alias, not a mailing list. If devrel
wants a mailing list to occasionally discuss general devrel issues
publicly, then that has nothing to do with devrel bugs, which are
closed from the get go.

jer