Old 04-21-2010, 01:44 AM
Sebastian Pipping

Default Gentoo stats server/client @ 2010-04-21

Intro
=====
Some of you may remember that project of mine I worked on for
GSOC 2009: collection of information on Gentoo user machine setups.

I have been extending Smolt [1] (whose current upstream version
collects information on hardware) to fit our interest in the
software side of things.

News
====
In the past days [2] I have been migrating the server side of Smolt
to server-to-server communication. What does that mean?

Server-to-server communication
------------------------------
When a client submits to the Gentoo Smolt Server, the server will
extract the part of interest to the common Smolt server (smolts.org)
and forward it.

As a consequence the needs for space in storage (quite a few SQL
tables, use flags per installed package, ..) and increased
processing time per submission are no problem to smolts.org
anymore. Also we gain more direct access to "our" data from it.

Another thing I've been working on is re-shaping the Gentoo code in
a way that it's now ready to go upstream, at least from my point of
view. I have requested permission to merge it in a few hours ago:
Let's see how upstream thinks about it.

So that's the news I wanted to share with you.

Sebastian

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/smolt/
[2]
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=smolt.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/next