Old 04-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Thomas Sachau

Default hardened-sources development (was: Is Gentoo dying?)

Am 03.04.2010 11:26, schrieb "Paweł Hajdan, Jr.":
> On 4/3/10 11:16 AM, Tobias Scherbaum wrote:
>> Hell no, but ...
>>
>> We have lots of quite understaffed areas, to sum up in a positive way.
>> Summing it up the negative way one might say, we have lots of areas were
>> users might get the idea Gentoo already is dead.
>>
>> For example:
>> - hardened-sources are nowadays only available in an experimental
>> overlay, lots of users keep asking what's happening to the
>> hardened-sources on both the -dev but also the -hardened mailinglist.
>
> I recently sent an e-mail to gentoo-dev,
> <http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_2eb703ee97afc64a29e5d148457ac8d5.xml>
>
> It seems that some work is being done, but there are people who
> volunteered to help, like me. What needs to be done with hardened-sources?
>
> Just a note: I'm using it on my servers, so I'm really interested in
> them being maintained, and I'm also able to test.

Most development of hardened-sources was done in hardened-development overlay. There are currently
recent versions of hardened-sources, but they have some regressions, which should be fixed, before
they are added to the main tree. If you want to help out with this package, i suggest you join
#gentoo-hardened on freenode, since that is the place, where most of the conversation is done.
Additionally it might have been better to send this mail at least in CC to gentoo-hardened ML, since
most interested and active people are only subscribed there.

--
Thomas Sachau

Gentoo Linux Developer