Old 04-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Dror Levin

Default Please don't turn this into a pissing match. (was: pkg_pretend USE validation and VALID_USE alternative)

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 20:32, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@googlemail.com> wrote:

In that case, why would you like to see VALID_USE as well as

pkg_pretend? Why not just use pkg_pretend, which is already in EAPI 4

and which can do everything VALID_USE can do plus several useful things

that it can't?

With pkg_pretend you can do VALID_USE using a simple eclass...
With pkg_pretend you can also implement USE deps, would you like to abolish them as well? This is data and should be treated as such. Using code to describe it is possible but suboptimal, if there's a suggestion that allows for describing this as data rather than with code then it is superior for all the reasons already stated.

Dror Levin

Old 04-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Ben de Groot

On 1 April 2010 19:23, Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@gentoo.org> wrote:
> I don't want to point fingers in any one direction, [...] but I would
> really like it if the volatile mix of paludis/pkgcore developers would
> not explode all over the mailing list. Please don't let the discussions
> get personal.

But you _should_ point fingers. The only way to make sure we have
civil discussions is to point out bad behavior and let people know
we don't tolerate that. And when such behavior is displayed
repeatedly, we should exclude such people from taking part in
our discussions. We don't need poisonous people, so let's
get rid of them.

Cheers,
--
Ben de Groot
Gentoo Linux Qt project lead developer

Old 04-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Nirbheek Chauhan

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 6:56 PM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 1 April 2010 19:23, Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> I don't want to point fingers in any one direction, [...] but I would
>> really like it if the volatile mix of paludis/pkgcore developers would
>> not explode all over the mailing list. Please don't let the discussions
>> get personal.
>
> But you _should_ point fingers. The only way to make sure we have
> civil discussions is to point out bad behavior and let people know
> we don't tolerate that. And when such behavior is displayed
> repeatedly, we should exclude such people from taking part in
> our discussions. We don't need poisonous people, so let's
> get rid of them.

I didn't personally point fingers in this case because me doing so in
that discussion would not have been taken as a neutral party stance.
Besides both sides were being childish; and sending one mail is easier
than 2-3 ;p

Neutral parties are constantly encouraged to put a stop to anti-social
behaviour by polite means (and escalate when necessary). We don't like
to see bytes being wasted on unproductive discussions, but we don't
want a witch-hunt either

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team