Old 04-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Ciaran McCreesh

Default Please don't turn this into a pissing match. (was: pkg_pretend USE validation and VALID_USE alternative)

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 22:53:10 +0530
Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On a related note, I really like Zac's and solar's no-nonsense
> get-stuff-done-even-if-it-isn't-perfect attitude, and would love it if
> everyone else applied it as well (if they don't already). I don't care
> if the proposal is perfect; as a potential user of those features, I
> want it to be implemented in portage in a reasonable time-frame.
>
> Over-engineering and then designing something to death is not the way
> to deliver said feature to the user. It's really stupid when the
> design document gets more attention than the implementation used by
> 90% of our users.

In that case, why would you like to see VALID_USE as well as
pkg_pretend? Why not just use pkg_pretend, which is already in EAPI 4
and which can do everything VALID_USE can do plus several useful things
that it can't?

With pkg_pretend you can do VALID_USE using a simple eclass...

--
Ciaran McCreesh

Old 04-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Ciaran McCreesh

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 21:58:29 +0300
Dror Levin <spatz@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 20:32, Ciaran McCreesh <
> ciaran.mccreesh@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > In that case, why would you like to see VALID_USE as well as
> > pkg_pretend? Why not just use pkg_pretend, which is already in EAPI
> > 4 and which can do everything VALID_USE can do plus several useful
> > things that it can't?
> >
> > With pkg_pretend you can do VALID_USE using a simple eclass...
> >
> With pkg_pretend you can also implement USE deps, would you like to
> abolish them as well?

Use dependencies can be handled by the package manager in a useful way.

> This is data and should be treated as such.
> Using code to describe it is possible but suboptimal, if there's a
> suggestion that allows for describing this as data rather than with
> code then it is superior for all the reasons already stated.

There's nothing that can make use of it as data, so there's no point.

If, in the distant future, something becomes available that can make
use of it as data, then in a future EAPI we can start using both as
appropriate.

--
Ciaran McCreesh